• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how much would you increase your day rate for inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much would you increase your day rate for inside?

I'm starting to get contracts, stating inside 35, how much would you increase your day rate for inside ir35 work?

I said + £250

Originally posted by KentDogWalker View Post
    I'm starting to get contracts, stating inside 35, how much would you increase your day rate for inside ir35 work?

I said + £250
    Depends on what your current day rate is.

Good market: +30%

Current market: Take what you can

In the end, it often won't what you say - the client will pay what the client wants to pay and, unless you have particularly niche skills, you'll just price yourself out of the market if you're rigid with your demands.

Comment

Rather depends what your day rate is..

About 35% seems to be the average plus any expenses you will be losing. But since most clients seem to be cutting rates to recover the ErNICs i wish you luck with getting a raise.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Inneresting
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Depends who is picking up the employers NIC liability and where the contract is based.

If locally and employer is actually covering the employers NIC's, I'd probably ask for 15-20%. In this market however..

Comment

40% more than inside to maintain rate. I worked this out using an excel sheet. The sheet contained tax bands in tables, and I used Vlookup functions to calculate the tax paid in each tax type. Then compared inside and outside roles. Inside means paying around 18% more tax, but the trouble is, to get the extra 18% tax, your rates have to go up 40%.

From there , work out how much of a rate cut you can bear, to remain competitive.

Comment

it's easy to say how much we should our day rate by for inside..

but it's not very much in our hands. usually its the client/agency decides how much their willing to pay out.
              Of course you could negotiate further and/or justify your high day rate saying that's because you need to increase because of inside IR35 blah blah blah.. but the client/agency will likely just turnaround and say they only willing to pay out that much.

And if you don't accept their offer then they'l just turn to someone else. And i'm sure there would be people out there who is willing to accept the lower amount just to get the contract.

Comment

I said + £250
                since when can you fix your own rate?
                geez, you must be a minor deity or summat.

Comment

I’ve gone for +800 a day

Is the client willing to pay £250 a day extra are your skills in scant availability’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

I said + £250
                    Really?!!

1. Phone umbrella company
                    2. Give them your rate and other details
                    3. Obtain the monthly net figure

Repeat 1-3 with increased rates each time until you are happy with the answer. Take the higher rate you are happy with and deduct the original rate. This difference is the increase I would recommend.

Comment

Working...
                    X