• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is a status determination applied to a role or to a worker?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a status determination applied to a role or to a worker?

I assume a role, because otherwise substitution would never be a factor, but not quite sure. Does anyone have a definitive answer?

Jesus ******* wept...

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Jesus ******* wept...

Someone send NLUK a teddy bear, choccy bar and some Play Doh quick.

OP, you've been on here 8 yars and don't know? Really?
      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Jesus ******* wept...

It's not such a dumb question - as far as I can tell it's not defined anywhere in the HMRC guidance.

But as you're so ****ing smart, perhaps you can just drop the answer here instead of your usual smart@rse taunts.

Comment

The sticky says we can't be mean to noobs asking daft questions but this one has to be the exception to the rule surely.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
            It's not such a dumb question
            Believe me it is.

Comment

I assume a role, because otherwise substitution would never be a factor, but not quite sure. Does anyone have a definitive answer?
              Long story short.

Neither. It belongs to an individual contract. There may be two roles for Java Developer at ClientCo. For example, a company might be testing what they get for an Inside IR35 contract and what they get for an Outside IR35 for such purposes as making the necessary changes to attract the best talent should it be worth it. Deliverables and working practices should vary significantly between the two.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                Long story short.

Neither. It belongs to an individual contract. There may be two roles for Java Developer at ClientCo. For example, a company might be testing what they get for an Inside IR35 contract and what they get for an Outside IR35 for such purposes as making the necessary changes to attract the best talent should it be worth it. Deliverables and working practices should vary significantly between the two.
                Thanks for a polite and useful answer.

Yes, I've been on here a long time but, unlike some others, I don't spend my every waking moment studying posts and revising IR35. I've already learned more about the whole thing than I ever wanted to know, I have plenty of other things I'd prefer to be doing.

Comment

It isn't a stupid question in the sense that a client may regard all workers within a particular role category as doing essentially the same thing in the same way, so they could reasonably (meaning, with reasonable care) decide that all of those workers have the same status.

But, in principle, a status determination applies to a particular contractor whose working practices are observed under a particular (hypothetical) contract.

Comment

Thanks for a polite and useful answer.

Yes, I've been on here a long time but, unlike some others, I don't spend my every waking moment studying posts and revising IR35. I've already learned more about the whole thing than I ever wanted to know, I have plenty of other things I'd prefer to be doing.
                    Considering it's a 20 year old piece of legislation that fundamentally affects the way contractors work, I'm a bit surprised you don't think it important enough to make the effort to be aware of it and its potential impact on your business.

It's like being a pie maker and saying "I didn't realise that I needed to know about food hygiene and labelling, what a faff". Every business owner should make themselves aware of the legislation that affects them.

Comment

Working...
                    X