My story, and how it's relavent to recent IR35 determinations and corporate scapegoat My story, and how it's relavent to recent IR35 determinations and corporate scapegoat - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 48

Fingers like lightning

Quote Originally Posted by JohntheBike View Post
    I've never claimed that. The situation many of us find ourselves in was created entirely by the clients for their advantage. It is human nature to make the best of any situation we find ourselves in, especially if that situation is forced on us by greedy people wanting to benefit from our misfortune.
    Really? NONE of the contractors I know fit this description. Also if we're to be totally honest the greedy ones were us

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    You are exactly the sort of person that HMRC are going after - and the reason why the rest of us are suffering.
    Sorry, that's not true. HMRC is going after all of us, because they want more money. Even if we all moved on every three months, they'd be doing the same.

(I might agree with other things you said. )

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Quote Originally Posted by WordIsBond View Post
    Sorry, that's not true. HMRC is going after all of us, because they want more money. Even if we all moved on every three months, they'd be doing the same.

(I might agree with other things you said. )

Yes, that's true, but it's easier for them to get support if they (and the supporting media) can spin it that the exception is the rule.
    I'm perfect, in a very specific and limited way.
    Hands... out infractions
    Face... the music
    Space... between the ears

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Yes, that's true, but it's easier for them to get support if they (and the supporting media) can spin it that the exception is the rule.
    Well, if you mean people like him give them extra cover to do what they would have done anyway, that's fair enough. But we'd be here even if there weren't people like him. They would (and have) find other reasons to spin it that way. In fact, they rarely talk about length of engagement, it's always "doing the same work, should pay the same tax" (even if you actually pay more tax).

Agree with WiB.

It's easy enough to argue that short-term temps that take D&C from their end clients are the "real" problem, not permietractors.

It's a slippery slope and missing the point. The point is to increase tax in a way that is politically acceptable. If it weren't about that, they'd go ahead and merge NI/tax and tax earned income and unearned income alike, but they won't.

Every contractor like's to think they're in the group of "one true contractors", but it's mostly a load of b******s.

Oh, and is anyone still listening to JtB?

Double Godlike!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbrown View Post
    Who?

My post count is Majestic

Yeah JtB is and sadly he can't get enough.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Banned

i hang on every word.
    when i can stay awake, which isn't often.

Double Godlike!

Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...

Agree with WiB.

It's easy enough to argue that short-term temps that take D&C from their end clients are the "real" problem, not permietractors.

It's a slippery slope and missing the point. The point is to increase tax in a way that is politically acceptable. If it weren't about that, they'd go ahead and merge NI/tax and tax earned income and unearned income alike, but they won't.

Every contractor like's to think they're in the group of "one true contractors", but it's mostly a load of b******s.
    Well that's going well. Best estimates put it that overall tax income will go down by about £2.5bn a year as a result of these changes....
    Blog? What blog...?