• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My story, and how it's relavent to recent IR35 determinations and corporate scapegoat

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    I've never claimed that. The situation many of us find ourselves in was created entirely by the clients for their advantage. It is human nature to make the best of any situation we find ourselves in, especially if that situation is forced on us by greedy people wanting to benefit from our misfortune.
    Really? NONE of the contractors I know fit this description. Also if we're to be totally honest the greedy ones were us

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      You are exactly the sort of person that HMRC are going after - and the reason why the rest of us are suffering.
      Sorry, that's not true. HMRC is going after all of us, because they want more money. Even if we all moved on every three months, they'd be doing the same.

(I might agree with other things you said. )

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
        Sorry, that's not true. HMRC is going after all of us, because they want more money. Even if we all moved on every three months, they'd be doing the same.

(I might agree with other things you said. )

Yes, that's true, but it's easier for them to get support if they (and the supporting media) can spin it that the exception is the rule.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Yes, that's true, but it's easier for them to get support if they (and the supporting media) can spin it that the exception is the rule.
          Well, if you mean people like him give them extra cover to do what they would have done anyway, that's fair enough. But we'd be here even if there weren't people like him. They would (and have) find other reasons to spin it that way. In fact, they rarely talk about length of engagement, it's always "doing the same work, should pay the same tax" (even if you actually pay more tax).

Comment

Agree with WiB.

It's easy enough to argue that short-term temps that take D&C from their end clients are the "real" problem, not permietractors.

It's a slippery slope and missing the point. The point is to increase tax in a way that is politically acceptable. If it weren't about that, they'd go ahead and merge NI/tax and tax earned income and unearned income alike, but they won't.

Every contractor like's to think they're in the group of "one true contractors", but it's mostly a load of b******s.

Comment

Oh, and is anyone still listening to JtB?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Who?

Comment

Yeah JtB is and sadly he can't get enough.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i hang on every word.
                    when i can stay awake, which isn't often.

Comment

Agree with WiB.

It's easy enough to argue that short-term temps that take D&C from their end clients are the "real" problem, not permietractors.

It's a slippery slope and missing the point. The point is to increase tax in a way that is politically acceptable. If it weren't about that, they'd go ahead and merge NI/tax and tax earned income and unearned income alike, but they won't.

Every contractor like's to think they're in the group of "one true contractors", but it's mostly a load of b******s.
                      Well that's going well. Best estimates put it that overall tax income will go down by about £2.5bn a year as a result of these changes....
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X