• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should we be worried about retrospective claims?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Out of interest have have you worded the appeal and on what points? . Is it an appeal or just attempting to open a negotiation on the future role? Have you quoted the legislation to try get a response?
    My appeal has also been submitted. The assessment was in the form of a questionnaire. I wrote a separate rebuttal of every point I disagreed with and returned it with my outside CEST assessment. Out of all the contractors here apparently I was the only one that bothered as it's a de facto blanket ban. I thought it a very necessary thing to do.
    ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

When it comes to a retro tax investigation, are you innocent until proven guilty? What evidence HMRC could possibly provide to support their claims?

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
        When it comes to a retro tax investigation, are you innocent until proven guilty? What evidence HMRC could possibly provide to support their claims?
        What???
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A tax investigation is not a criminal prosecution. The concept of innocent till proven guilty does not exist in these cases.
          As for evidence. How about the information you provide then as part of the initial investigation. That’s usually enough for them to go to a tribunal with.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lockhouse View Post
            My appeal has also been submitted. The assessment was in the form of a questionnaire. I wrote a separate rebuttal of every point I disagreed with and returned it with my outside CEST assessment. Out of all the contractors here apparently I was the only one that bothered as it's a de facto blanket ban. I thought it a very necessary thing to do.
            Very wise. Anyone who has QDOS outside determination should be doing the same or why bother getting it reviewed in the first place? If the contract hasn't changed that you're going inside with then having a QDOS review and a CEST tool determination to back your case up with would be excellent. While they may still say "tough" or bin you off, you've at least argued your case. I can see a point where the client ask the contractor to pay for a QDOS review to get it to an outside determination, so long as they're flexible enough on their working practices to enable it.

You're investigated because they believe you to be operating inside but declaring outside. So, yes.

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            What???
            Not a tough question for you, really?
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Not a tough question for you, really?
              It is when it makes little sense.

Comment

Just had a call with my agent, other than the advice already mentioned, appeal any and all SDS decisions as if you don't you have zero come back.

He also said if HMRC do start to go after people, he thinks that they will go for those who are declared outside rather than going after people who are switching to inside.

Based on if they go after someone outside and get it wrong it's little or no come back based on the cases they've lost already, if they go after someone inside and get it wrong it looks very very bad for them.
                Last edited by SimonMac; 18 February 2020, 16:05.
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                  Just had a call with my agent , other than the advice already mentioned, appeal any and all SDS decisions as if you don't you have zero come back.

He also said if HMRC do start to go after people, he thinks that they will go for those who are still classing themselves outside rather than going after people who are switching to inside.

Based on if they go after someone outside and get it wrong it's little or no come back based on the cases they've lost already, if they go after someone inside and get it wrong it looks very very bad for them.
                  Erm.....

The very fact he things the contractor's are classing themselves as outside rings alarm bells.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    He also said if HMRC do start to go after people, he thinks that they will go for those who are still classing themselves outside rather than going after people who are switching to inside.

You actually entertained a serious conversation with an agent about IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

You actually entertained a serious conversation with an agent about IR35?
                      In fairness yes, in fact I'd go as far as saying I've found an honest agent. I know I am as surprised as you!
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X