• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next steps on IR35 moot - it's a PSC ban that's the problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WavyDavy View Post
    I hope you are right!

Comment

Every few hours there's now a story about HMRC and The Treasury being pressured to delay or re-think IR35.

Give many large client organisations (mine included - RBS) are side-stepping the IR35 debate by forcing a ban on PSCs, does anyone here thing that the edge-case likelihood of a delay/repeal of IR35 will make any difference at all?

Isn't the damage done? Does anyone see companies rethinking their PSC bans in the event of a IR35 miracle?
      Have RBS announced the 20% rate cut yet across the board, heard from chap at the top was happening before April ? Hopefully they will see sense

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        Have RBS announced the 20% rate cut yet across the board, heard from chap at the top was happening before April ? Hopefully they will see sense

They did 10% over the summer at renewal time.

A 20% cut will really twist the knife. I suggest that won't happen given the panic on good people leaving in the past two months due to IR35

Comment

Originally posted by oliverson View Post
          The only reason they aren't engaging PSC's is because of IR35. If it gets canned completely I think the market will return 'very' quickly. There's no reason for it not to. It would have the least friction going forward.
          Why would the government can IR35 altogether? it will most likely bring them loads of extra cash just from NICs alone and the industry will most likely cope one way or another. I'm sure that at the end of the year this new legislation will get described as a total success and they'll just leave it in place forever.

Comment

A 20% cut will really twist the knife. I suggest that won't happen given the panic on good people leaving in the past two months due to IR35
            Never underestimate the ability, and the willingness, of RBS to tulip on its own shoes.
            ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
            Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
              Never underestimate the ability, and the willingness, of RBS to tulip on its own shoes.
              RBS see 95% on contractors roll over and accept umbrella companies on effectively 30% cuts in rates (10% in summer also) - they must be thinking - how low can we go

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                RBS see 95% on contractors roll over and accept umbrella companies on effectively 30% cuts in rates (10% in summer also) - they must be thinking - how low can we go

I left RBS after they started bacon slicing my rate. Stuff 'em.
                ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

In my view of the RBS world, neither of these happened or is happening. Its such a big org, I suspect each business unit is applying its own policies (within the wider no PSC one).

Comment

I didn't get that cut and didn't hear anybody grumbling about it - where in RBS are you?
                    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      I didn't get that cut and didn't hear anybody grumbling about it - where in RBS are you?
                      Sounds like at least one area within RBS took the opportunity to slash rates and told their contractors it was an across-the-board policy.

Or (and I'd not immediately reject this), some contractors took what was happening to them and assumed it was an across-the-board policy as a defensive mechanism.

Comment

Working...
                      X