• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Next steps on IR35 moot - it's a PSC ban that's the problem

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by herman_g View Post
    I would hope you are smart enough to know I am referring to IT contractors. Maybe not.
    What is it about IT Contracting specifically that makes being willing to work or live abroad so vital? Or is it you're just one of these tossers who drew that line for yourself and can't grasp the concept that it doesn't work for everybody?

Mind you, somebody who uses being permie as an insult is never going to be sharpest.

Comment

should not use permie as an insult. don't forget majority of us all came from a permie background. so let's be humble & don't forget what helped us to get there.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
        should not use permie as an insult. don't forget majority of us all came from a permie background. so let's be humble & don't forget what helped us to get there.
        Permies need to be a tad thick to stay in same role and wait to get made redundant or sacked or reapply for there job on tuliptyy wages for past 20 years while permietractors were getting double the rate for same role

Now market is dead permiractors have no choice - hence the return

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
          Permies need to be a tad thick to stay in same role and wait to get made redundant or sacked or reapply for there job on tuliptyy wages for past 20 years while permietractors were getting double the rate for same role

Permietractors doing the exact job as permanent staff should never have been allowed - this is why we are in the mess we are in

It's also why I'm finding the Aker's decision (see the oil and gas thread) so interesting..
          Last edited by eek; 23 February 2020, 09:22.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

while permietractors were getting double the rate for same role
            Fair play to them, they took the risk of exploiting the loophole & as a result earn their rewards.

Always have choice. For the unwise permitractors who were spending as they earn - they can easily circumvent by spend less from now on (no more wasting money on meaningless subcriptions they don't need, holidays only as really required etc..). For the wise ones who have been building up their warchest - sure, it's painful for now but who knows what will happen in future, maybe market will rise again.

Comment

In 2020 when IR35 was introduced, the UK IT contract market was pretty much the same as now. Clients were reluctant to engage and the supply demand ratio was a complete disaster.

Which, of course, was the reason I took up my first contract in Germany.

In June, the phone started ringing pretty steady for UK roles. Clients were willing to engage again and had tweeked contracts accordingly.

My guess is this reincarnation of IR35 will end up about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by herman_g View Post
                In 2020 when IR35 was introduced, the UK IT contract market was pretty much the same as now. Clients were reluctant to engage and the supply demand ratio was a complete disaster.

Which, of course, was the reason I took up my first contract in Germany.

In June, the phone started ringing pretty steady for UK roles. Clients were willing to engage again and had tweeked contracts accordingly.

My guess is this reincarnation of IR35 will end up about the same.
                What?!? 2020?!?

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                  Fair play to them, they took the risk of exploiting the loophole & as a result earn their rewards.

Always have choice. For the unwise permitractors who were spending as they earn - they can easily circumvent by spend less from now on (no more wasting money on meaningless subcriptions they don't need, holidays only as really required etc..). For the wise ones who have been building up their warchest - sure, it's painful for now but who knows what will happen in future, maybe market will rise again.
                  Building a war chest until you are old and deed?

Long time dead mate

Comment

Building a war chest until you are old and deed?

Long time dead mate

Or a long time for Financial Independence Retire Early.

Depends how you look at it really...
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                      What?!? 2020?!?

Oh tulip! Meant 2000. Those years all seem to blurr in at my age!

Comment

Working...
                      X