• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rishi Sunak confirms IR35 reform is going ahead w/o any major changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    Really? Its actually easy to argue:

Pre-April: I was self-determined outside. My professional review said so, my working practices said so, my client said so, CEST says so.

Pre-April: Legal at my client decided to remove risk and no longer engage with PSC.

Post April: I've gone PAYE/Ubmrella. It doesn't really matter now, but that doesn't change my Pre-April situation.

Yes, moving self-determined outside to PAYE/Umbrella might increase the *risk* of being investigated, but it does not (or should not) change what the outcome of what a pre-April investigation would be. That is based on your pre-April work, not on whether the client decided to make a policy decision.
    LMFAO. Yes, it really is easy to argue the above. On a web forum, that is. Try arguing with HMRC and see how 'easy' arguing with them really is.

So, you agree, that its easy to argue and the post-April move to Umbrella only changes the risk of an investigation, not the outcome (so long as you have correctly determined outside and have taken precautions). Thanks.

Next.
    Oh dear, I sense you've never been the subject of an HMRC investigation? Even the strongest characters have been worn down by the sheer intransigence, repetitiveness and obduracy of HMRC.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
      Rishi Sunak confirms IR35 reform is going ahead w/o any major changes
      https://twitter.com/HmrconI/status/1231348668344696834

On a more positive note, he said he made sure HMRC won't act heavy-handed during the first year (whatever that means).
      Whether it's another dishonest promise remains to be seen.
      what exactly is this f*****g 'heavy handed' stuff. Enforcing the law will never be considered heavy handed. For example, if they ran a report and sent out letters to all who had moved from outside IR35 to inside. That should take a week. That wouldnt be considered heavy handed by anyone but should worry us all.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
        what exactly is this f*****g 'heavy handed' stuff. Enforcing the law will never be considered heavy handed. For example, if they ran a report and sent out letters to all who had moved from outside IR35 to inside. That should take a week. That wouldnt be considered heavy handed by anyone but should worry us all.
        What data are you proposing they could use to run this report to identify people who have moved from outside to inside?

Comment

What data are you proposing they could use to run this report to identify people who have moved from outside to inside?
          Agency reporting across 2 months where company paid changed.

And there is no rush to do it - just collect the data, run the report in December 2023 and send letters out Feb 2024
          Last edited by eek; 11 March 2020, 18:04.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

intermediary reporting with NI number. This is a pre-canned report in HMRC's system. With more than half of the companies declaring blanket bans, they can zero in on the ones that havent. I would.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
              Oh dear, I sense you've never been the subject of an HMRC investigation? Even the strongest characters have been worn down by the sheer intransigence, repetitiveness and obduracy of HMRC.
              And HMRC will go after all your tax affairs. Like expenses in past years etc. No one, in their right mind, looks forward to a tax investigation,

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Agency reporting across 2 months where company paid changed.

And there is no rush to do it - just collect the data, run the report in December 2023 and send letters out Feb 2024
                And how exactly does that identify outside to inside?

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
                intermediary reporting with NI number. This is a pre-canned report in HMRC's system. With more than half of the companies declaring blanket bans, they can zero in on the ones that havent. I would.
                So it doesn't identify outside to inside then?

Comment

And how exactly does that identify outside to inside?
                  Apart from IR35 status changes what other reasons exist that would explain why the company payments are sent to changes?

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                    Apart from IR35 status changes what other reasons exist that would explain why the company payments are sent to changes?
                    Yes, they are due to IR35 changes, often because of policy changes (no PSC engagements). But, my question was challenging the statement that it shows who has moved from outside to inside. Once again, how exactly?

Comment

Yes, they are due to IR35 changes, often because of policy changes (no PSC engagements). But, my question was challenging the statement that it shows who has moved from outside to inside. Once again, how exactly?
                      HMRC don't need to - it would be up to you to show otherwise...

And I'm sure HMRC can match NI numbers to NI receipts were they to need to.

I'm at a loss as to whether you are trolling or terminal thick... Either way I will add you to my ignore list on the basis that you seem to be unable to think.

Comment

Working...
                      X