• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ltd > Umbrella

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ltd > Umbrella

Working via ltd company (just over 2 years) for a client.
    Client has thrown a blanket on all contractors via ltd company and have suggested they move under umbrella or paye.

Would moving from ltd to umbrella expose you to IR35 for the previous time on the contract?

Would taking a few weeks break and going umbrella with the same client be a “better” option?

Obviously one option is to leave and get a new contract via a different agency - even be it via umbrella.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ould-i-go.html
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

We have no idea about the options really.

It's down to you to decide the best option for you I'm afraid.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by Steve1 View Post
        Client has thrown a blanket on all contractors via ltd company and have suggested they move under umbrella or paye.

Would moving from ltd to umbrella expose you to IR35 for the previous time on the contract?
        Potentially we don't know - the concern stems from the agency report which when combined with a couple of other reports provides a very easy starting point to kick off bulk investigations. And HMRC do currently have a modus operandi of throw a lot of mud and see what sticks then see how far you can push without doing any real work.

Would taking a few weeks break and going umbrella with the same client be a “better” option?
        I doubt it would make much difference

Obviously one option is to leave and get a new contract via a different agency - even be it via umbrella.
        That would avoid our concern from your first question but may not be easy.

As Cojak says the risk is all yours to estimate and take..
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Use the search term as described in this thread

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...st1178609.html

You situation is common to tens of thousands so has been discussed many times.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My opinion and that of 90% of contractors I talk to is that outside to inside is leaving you wide open for retro action. Why would a gap (unless of more than a whole FY) make any difference?

Comment

Originally posted by JoJoGabor View Post
              My opinion and that of 90% of contractors I talk to is that outside to inside is leaving you wide open for retro action. Why would a gap (unless of more than a whole FY) make any difference?
              It would appear that anyone going from Outside to PSC ban is more in the cross hairs than we thought as well. Still not up there with outside to inside I'd guess but still changes a lot.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...tigations.html
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

See the fuller thread that was posted here: https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ould-i-go.html

I have decided the risk is too great. The agency are required to link the PSC engagement (outside IR35 ) to the new umbrella/paye engagement which clearly paints a target on my back.
                Leave: "To remove oneself from association with or participation in"

Comment

Working...
                X