• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The Review and "Retro" IR35 Investigations

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NeedTheSunshine View Post
    I think that unless you have been on the receiving end of HMRC you don't actually realise how skewed against you it can get. I certainly didn't.
    Indeed. It took my years to understand why.

HMRC tell the government what to put in the budget. Government have to pass budget or government falls. So in effect to challenge HMRC require revolution.

Or maybe LCJ will help.....

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
      If you go brolly with the same client through the same agent, there is, in my view, a substantive risk that they will match you up and decide there is basis to investigate you.........

I still do not think those impacted by a blanket ban will be their first or easiest target, but this review should not give you any comfort. If you are going brolly with the same client and you have any significant exposure on prior contracts with the client, you should get your company closed ASAP, in my view.
      So far I think it was believed that no determination=ban PSCs was better that inside determination.
      With this new POV what is the silver bullet for a contractor when they are offered PAYE - umbrella or employment? Change agency? Other?

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
        So far I think it was believed that no determination=ban PSCs was better that inside determination.
        With this new POV what is the silver bullet for a contractor when they are offered PAYE - umbrella or employment? Change agency? Other?
        Doesn't really matter. If you have contract/working practices reviewed, showing you outside IR35, and have insurance in place, extract cash from PSC, close it down, carry on with life. If you're risk averse, keep money aside in a safe place to cover the potential tax in case HMRC try to play the fraud card.
        Last edited by Paralytic; 3 March 2020, 19:20.

Comment

An email, not too far in the future.....
          TO: insideir35snitchline@ hmrc.gov.uk
          ATTACHED: ContractorList.xlsx
          SUBJECT: Contractor List

Hello,

Please find attached the list of low-hanging fruit that you wanted from our banks on the wharf. Good hunting.

Best regards,
          Snitchy McSnitchface.
          Can't see it ending well.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

Because snitches get stitches?

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

If they start offering a percentage on the returns that's going to be my plan B
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                If they start offering a percentage on the returns that's going to be my plan B
                You've got a bus lined up to throw them under?
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

The risk here I think is more what the client would say. HMRC can say it's an inside determination on the pre April contract but if the client puts in writing that it's actually to avoid the IR35 process (which some have) then HMRC's argument is moot.

I've spoken to clients about this - how you can say from April we want to offer you contract X but this has no bearing on your current contract. Those that value contractors and are more on the medium sized end of the spectrum are happy to manage this in a way that doesn't expose contractors to more risk. Some don't care.

I've also spoken to HMRC recently about the retro action approach and they do seem focussed on going forward and tackling clients who are deliberately dodging the rules - they want to ensure this doesn't slip into a change for 6 - 12 months then back to normal. Right now it seems it would be counter-intuitive to upset contractors at clients who are being more 'compliant'.

In my experience though that picture changes very quickly and I would put absolutely no faith in policy statements or similar.

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post
                    The risk here I think is more what the client would say. HMRC can say it's an inside determination on the pre April contract but if the client puts in writing that it's actually to avoid the IR35 process (which some have) then HMRC's argument is moot.

I've spoken to clients about this - how you can say from April we want to offer you contract X but this has no bearing on your current contract. Those that value contractors and are more on the medium sized end of the spectrum are happy to manage this in a way that doesn't expose contractors to more risk. Some don't care.

I've also spoken to HMRC recently about the retro action approach and they do seem focussed on going forward and tackling clients who are deliberately dodging the rules - they want to ensure this doesn't slip into a change for 6 - 12 months then back to normal. Right now it seems it would be counter-intuitive to upset contractors at clients who are being more 'compliant'.

In my experience though that picture changes very quickly and I would put absolutely no faith in policy statements or similar.
                    HMRC have 4 years to query tax payments. The next 6-12 months is irrelevant when there are another 3 years to play with especially as HMRC will over time start chasing people who no longer have the appropriate original paperwork due to time.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by ComplianceLady View Post

interesting this ... so do you think a statement from the client stating (in bold) that would be of benefit and is worth pushing for ... certainly be something to file away with the insurance in my closed company file !

Comment

Working...
                      X