• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is there still hope?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there still hope?

Have you seen this:

IR35 Contractor Blanket Ban Companies Stuffed HMRC Now Say

I personally think blanket ban is not a blanket determination per se.

It amy not be a determination in the strict sense of the new laws, but they are still subject to that law when it comes to payment through umbrellas and lliabilities for errors in payment.

Also you can run through an umbrella and still be outside IR35 ( I know many that have been doing that for years) , meaning full tax deductions from your invoice value and no allowable expenses is against the rules...

Much confusion and illegibility in the world right now, it will take a while for the variations to be worked out.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by abz2020 View Post
      Have you seen this:

IR35 Contractor Blanket Ban Companies Stuffed HMRC Now Say

I personally think blanket ban is not a blanket determination per se.
      Gerry McLaughlin's site - write anything for views in an attempt to sell the tax avoidance schemes that advertise on it....
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Gerry McLaughlin's site - write anything for views in an attempt to sell the tax avoidance schemes that advertise on it....
        I clicked before I saw your post - grrrrr

I have still not forgiven him for launching a personal attack on a guy I worked with via his site.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Very true. Personally I think the second letter "l" in his name is redundant...
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

That section is taken from the HMRC site (as below), but they're hardly going to go back and ask all these companies if they're definitely sure they've made the right decision....

And remember how all these big banks have been saying that they've made the decision based on extensive consultation with HMRC?

Your client must take reasonable care when making a decision about whether the off-payroll working rules apply. Applying a decision to a group of off-payroll workers with the same role, working practices and contractual terms may be permissible in some circumstances, but it is not right to rule all engagements to be within or outside of the rules irrespective of the contractual terms and actual working arrangements.

Comment

I said it when SimonMac posted a link from there. Bloody awful site. Don't bother with it. Wouldn't trust a word posted on there.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In the other topic it was hinted that HMRC sees PSC ban/no determination as an inside IR35 marker.

Logically this is a determination in the eyes of HMRC, but it has not been done using reasonable care.

And this are 2 snippets of text directly from HMRC's documents.

Comment

Long shot but...If coronavirus gets worse, government could be sensible and delay it till summer perhaps

Comment

Originally posted by sira View Post
                    Long shot but...If coronavirus gets worse, government could be sensible and delay it till summer perhaps

Why? what would that actually solve.

Let's get this disaster started so we can see the end result rather than delaying the inevitable.
                    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                    X