• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax differences between salaried and IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sayinghello View Post
    I see what you mean. So as long as the new job pays circa 16% more than what I'm on now I'm golden?
    No because a contract can evaporate in a day and you earning nothing. It can take a couple of months to get a new gig etc.

Work on nine to ten months contracting a year and use that to compare to your perm wage. Starts to look less attractive.

No sick, pension, holidays for free either.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      What flexibility are you expecting from contracting exactly?
      The flexibility to quit my job whenever I want. Is that not why people go in to contracting?
      I guess everyone has their different reasons.

Comment

The flexibility to quit my job whenever I want. Is that not why people go in to contracting?
        You won't last long if you quit jobs when you feel like it - your reputation will proceed you.

Beyond that we've already told you this is an insane time to go contracting so please don't come back here in six months time complaining about things not working out.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          Not quite - as you could be fired at any minute and possible asked to take a few weeks off at little notice due to the department having a "quiet period".

Even in the good old days there is no way that we would tell you it was worth going contracting unless you were getting 40%+ more than you got being permanent (and ideally 80%) - going contracting today for the same money as you got in a permanent job is currently completely and utterly insanely stupid.,
          Ok thanks. So the reason most people do contracting is because it pays more? I was not aware, I thought it was for the flexibility. Sorry like I say, totally new to this. My reasons may be different to other peoples I suspect.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            No because a contract can evaporate in a day and you earning nothing. It can take a couple of months to get a new gig etc.

Work on nine to ten months contracting a year and use that to compare to your perm wage. Starts to look less attractive.

No sick, pension, holidays for free either.
            This is true, Im not sure if the flexibility is worth it then.
            Both my parents are terminally ill and we have a bumpy road ahead, so I was looking at contracting as a way to provide more flexibility for me to roll with the punches so to speak.

Comment

This is true, Im not sure if the flexibility is worth it then.
              Both my parents are terminally ill and we have a bumpy road ahead, so I was looking at contracting as a way to provide more flexibility for me to roll with the punches so to speak.
              Contracting won't give you that flexibility - companies are paying a premium for someone to fix an urgent problem for them.

I don't know what to advice but contracting is really not the solution for your current issues.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ok thanks. I think maybe I'm getting contracting confused with freelancing.

Comment

Hi everyone, I am about to take my firt step in to contracting and am looking at the ins and outs of the tax stuff.
                  I have a limited company and I see seasoned contractors talking about IR35 reforms.
                  I have been a perm worker paying a higher rate of tax. I am taking a 1 year contract (paid daily) which falls within IR35, where I will be earning the same yearly total in the contracting role as I do in my permanent role.
                  My question is will IR35 and paying employers NI contributions leave me worse off than if I was in the perm role??

Thanks
                  As already mentioned...are you mad ?, now is not the time to start contracting, I suppose after April and the dust has settled maybe a better time as you will at least an idea of where you stand (almost certainly worse off).

Comment

Ha..yes..its a nice thought that in the back of your mind you can just tell your client to F off..the reality is, can you afford that ? (unlikely), and whilst not as serious as leaving/getting fired from a job youve had 20 years, you really do not want to burn your bridges with clients/agencies nor get a bad reputation.

Ive been contracting for 6 years or so and the law regarding tax/ltd cos is an absolute minefield and I suspect not even senior/experts here have a full understanding of it, you will need an accountant which will take more money out of your pocket on top of bank charges/accounting software/indemnity insurance.

Anyway most of this is moot and many/most of us are finding out..contracting/being paid through a ltd company will become almost impossible, many thousands of contractors have now closed their ltd cos as they serve no purpose and resigned to the fact it will be umbrellas going forward.

Comment

Ok thanks. So the reason most people do contracting is because it pays more? I was not aware, I thought it was for the flexibility. Sorry like I say, totally new to this. My reasons may be different to other peoples I suspect.
                      You get the flexibility to pick and choose projects that you work, if one does turn out to be a death march you can walk away. Also it keeps you out of the politics of the office. The extra pay is because we offer a premium over what employee's do. Vast experience in our domain and can hit the ground running and happy to travel. That premium also comes at a premium price!

However, Inside IR35 has stopped all that, the inside IR35 position means holiday, sick pay, pension, bench time, travel/overnight expenses have to be funded post tax not from a war chest (savings) in the Ltd. So for many the reward/risk as now swung back to being a permie.

People on here are questioning why you would go from permie to a no rights temp worker position but taxed as such situation. Many are going the other way!
                      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Working...
                      X