• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax differences between salaried and IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sayinghello View Post
    This is true, Im not sure if the flexibility is worth it then.
    Both my parents are terminally ill and we have a bumpy road ahead, so I was looking at contracting as a way to provide more flexibility for me to roll with the punches so to speak.
    Sorry to hear about your parents.

If you have plenty of cash behind you and are looking to top it up while helping to care for your parents then freelancing to work on small distinct projects for clients may be good for you. A permanent job would possibly provide more support though if you were able to take compassionate leave at times, or even use your holiday allowance. At least that way you'd still be getting some income when not actually working.

Comment

Originally posted by Pring View Post
      Sorry to hear about your parents.

If you have plenty of cash behind you and are looking to top it up while helping to care for your parents then freelancing to work on small distinct projects for clients may be good for you. A permanent job would possibly provide more support though if you were able to take compassionate leave at times, or even use your holiday allowance. At least that way you'd still be getting some income when not actually working.
      That's some sound advice there.

You do need to look at your financial position and be sure you can afford to be out of work, both when you need to be and if there is no work available.

Some clients may be less accommodating about your need to be away from their precious project than an employer would. It can be quite unforgiving at times, with some clients' expectations being really quite high.

Comment

Originally posted by sayinghello View Post
        This is true, Im not sure if the flexibility is worth it then.
        Both my parents are terminally ill and we have a bumpy road ahead, so I was looking at contracting as a way to provide more flexibility for me to roll with the punches so to speak.
        I'm truly, truly sorry you're having to go through such a difficult thing with your mum and dad. I can't imagine how hellish tough that must be.

I would have thought that being in a permanent role might be better for your situation as your employer is probably more likely to be understanding to your situation and your need to take time off, possibly at short notice. The last thing you need at a time like this is to be stressing over work. I don't know what it is you do, but certainly in my experience contracting tends to be a bit more stressful, has more peaks and troughs, and less margin for having a life outside of it.

Take it easy and let us know what you decide.
        If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
          I'm truly, truly sorry you're having to go through such a difficult thing with your mum and dad. I can't imagine how hellish tough that must be.

I would have thought that being in a permanent role might be better for your situation as your employer is probably more likely to be understanding to your situation and your need to take time off, possibly at short notice. The last thing you need at a time like this is to be stressing over work. I don't know what it is you do, but certainly in my experience contracting tends to be a bit more stressful, has more peaks and troughs, and less margin for having a life outside of it.

Take it easy and let us know what you decide.
          Agree, a decent compassionate employer is by far your better bet in your circumstances.
          Best wishes

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
            Agree, a decent compassionate employer is by far your better bet in your circumstances.
            Best wishes
            This

When we had a sudden death in the family, I was getting text messages literally the next day, asking what my intentions, regarding my return to work on the project were ('We're just after a heads up, in case we need to replace you')

Same client, a couple of months later, one of the permies lost her elderly dad, she was off for 4 months on paid compassionate leave. There was collections, cards, 'take as long as you feel you need' . When she returned to work, everyone huddled round, asking if she was ok, and if not take more time off

Not all clients are as brutal as that but they don't owe you any 'compassion', and many simply don't care about what you've got going on, and then there's the brown envelopes coming through your door from HMRC, who care even less than the hardest of clients about what you're going through

I'd consider carefully before swapping a permanent role for contract just now, with you having much more important things to worry about, and with contracting going through it's most difficult period in memory

Comment

Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
              This

When we had a sudden death in the family, I was getting text messages literally the next day, asking what my intentions, regarding my return to work on the project were ('We're just after a heads up, in case we need to replace you')

Same client, a couple of months later, one of the permies lost her elderly dad, she was off for 4 months on paid compassionate leave. There was collections, cards, 'take as long as you feel you need' . When she returned to work, everyone huddled round, asking if she was ok, and if not take more time off

Not all clients are as brutal as that but they don't owe you any 'compassion', and many simply don't care about what you've got going on, and then there's the brown envelopes coming through your door from HMRC, who care even less than the hardest of clients about what you're going through

I'd consider carefully before swapping a permanent role for contract just now, with you having much more important things to worry about, and with contracting going through it's most difficult period in memory
              Best one I remember was working for RBS in Amsterdam, one of our contractor team died overnight, program director tells us to get a replacement ASAP, the body was still warm in the hotel room.

Next day one of the team posted on his facebook page - RIP etc etc

Only for his wife to call up RBS and ask where her husband was

No one had bothered to inform them

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Working...
              X