• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tax differences between salaried and IR35?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tax differences between salaried and IR35?

Hi everyone, I am about to take my firt step in to contracting and am looking at the ins and outs of the tax stuff.
    I have a limited company and I see seasoned contractors talking about IR35 reforms.
    I have been a perm worker paying a higher rate of tax. I am taking a 1 year contract (paid daily) which falls within IR35, where I will be earning the same yearly total in the contracting role as I do in my permanent role.
    My question is will IR35 and paying employers NI contributions leave me worse off than if I was in the perm role??

Thanks

Enter your day rate and it'll give a comparison of Inside IR35 and what you'd need to earn the same as a contractor. Coupled with the fact that as a permie you'll have holidays/sick pay/pension/etc I'd say you're not getting a great deal here...
    Last edited by Contractor UK; 28 June 2020, 19:25.

Comment

Originally posted by sayinghello View Post
      Hi everyone, I am about to take my firt step in to contracting and am looking at the ins and outs of the tax stuff.
      I have a limited company and I see seasoned contractors talking about IR35 reforms.
      I have been a perm worker paying a higher rate of tax. I am taking a 1 year contract (paid daily) which falls within IR35, where I will be earning the same yearly total in the contracting role as I do in my permanent role.
      My question is will IR35 and paying employers NI contributions leave me worse off than if I was in the perm role??

Thanks
      Why are you going contracting - that's insane in the current market.

You haven't actually told us enough to give you a definitive answer but I suspect your new daily rate needs to also include Employers NI and various other bits so knock 16% off before you even begin to compare to your current salary.

Also as it's a daily rate how did you caculate that it's the same as your current salary - how many days are you estimating that you will work (from which you've already taken a 16% pay cut and it's likely to be worse than that).
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Don't forget when using the calculators and wetting yourself at the uplift to what you are on now. The gig can end there on the spot and you will be earning nothing.

The second gig is the hardest one to get as well so gonna be burning money while trying to look for that elusive 2nd gig.

Terrible time to be start on this path
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'm literally brand new at this and trying to work my way around the tax stuff.
          Im looking for flexibility right now so thats why Im going in to contracting. I'm not fussed about tax breaks in being a contractor (is that the potential benefit and the reason most people do it? Not sure as not done it before). As long as I dont earn less that what I'm on now I'm happy
          Last edited by sayinghello; 4 March 2020, 15:33.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I'm literally brand new at this and trying to work my way around the tax stuff.
            Im looking for flexibility right now so thats why Im going in to contracting. I'm not fussed about tax breaks in being a contractor (is that the potential benefit and the reason most people do it? Not sure as not done it before). As long as I dont earn less that what I'm on now I'm happy
            Did you not read my post - you are likely to receive at least 13% less than you currently do when Employer NI is taken on top of the taxes you already pay.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
              Did you not read my post - you are likely to receive at least 13% less than you currently do when Employer NI is taken on top of the taxes you already pay.
              Yep, you read that right - two lots of NI - Employees AND Employers...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

I see what you mean. So as long as the new job pays circa 16% more than what I'm on now I'm golden?

Comment

What flexibility are you expecting from contracting exactly?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I see what you mean. So as long as the new job pays circa 16% more than what I'm on now I'm golden?
                    Not quite - as you could be fired at any minute and possible asked to take a few weeks off at little notice due to the department having a "quiet period".

Even in the good old days there is no way that we would tell you it was worth going contracting unless you were getting 40%+ more than you got being permanent (and ideally 80%) - going contracting today for the same money as you got in a permanent job is currently completely and utterly insanely stupid.,

Comment

Working...
                    X