• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Here we go then. SDS received. Inside determination.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go then. SDS received. Inside determination.

The determination has been based on the following key factors:

• Substitution – There are substitution clauses within the WBA contract which allow the Individual to appoint a substitute to perform the services of the Individual, however approval is required from the client and therefore an unfettered right of substitution does not exist.

• Control – Throughout the engagement, the Company will be under the supervision of WBA who retain the right to exercise how, when and where the service is delivered even where that right is not exercised.

• Financial Risk – The engagement is based on an agreed day rate and there is no provision for additional costs to be incurred by the Company as result of late or sub-standard delivery. In addition, there is no requirement for the Company to invest significant capital in advance of delivering the service and therefore it has been concluded there is no financial risk to the Company associated with the engagement.
    Preparing an appeal now since they haven't considered MoO at all, have misunderstood the meaning of "unfettered right" in the substitution and ignored the contractual clauses around control and actual working practices and obligations to correct failures at our own cost.
    Last edited by DaveB; 10 March 2020, 09:28.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Preparing an appeal now since they haven't considered MoO at all, have misunderstood the meaning of "unfettered right" in the substitution and ignored the contractual clauses around control and actual working practices and obligations to correct failures at our own cost.
    Just say farewell and move on to the next client - that SDS was obvious from the time you first posted - the client wants employees.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Client has confirmed you have always been within IR35

Are you going to pay back taxes, expenses etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

A bit surprised that you thought it was going to end differently tbh.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

They've taken reasonable care. The rest is he said/she said. You aren't going to turn this around, but I assume you want to appeal in order to register your disagreement as it relates to your earlier status, which is surely now in question. Makes sense, I suppose. Your earlier status is in question though.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
            They've taken reasonable care. The rest is he said/she said. You aren't going to turn this around, but I assume you want to appeal in order to register your disagreement as it relates to your earlier status, which is surely now in question. Makes sense, I suppose. Your earlier status is in question though.

But surely this is going to apply to many/the majority ?.....It appears there is little we can do about it. I wonder whether the IR35 change makes it less or more likely that HMRC will go after contractors for previous tax, comments made by Rishi appear not ?!

Comment

Originally posted by andydd68 View Post
              But surely this is going to apply to many/the majority ?.....It appears there is little we can do about it. I wonder whether the IR35 change makes it less or more likely that HMRC will go after contractors for previous tax, comments made by Rishi appear not ?!
              We've only been discussing this in every other post for the past 3 months. There is even a sticky on it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

For the 2019/20 tax year HMRC don't need to start investigating you until early 2024 (but will probably do so earlier once HMRC's need for money kicks in).

Why do you think the public sector changes kicked off in April 2017 and the private sector changes kicked off in April 2020? It gives HMRC a whole year to start chasing public sector contractors who worked in the public sector in 2016/17 as outside IR35 but remained post April 2017 as inside..

Comment

Correct and anyone who doesn't appeal will, imho, be seen as both not taking due care and by extension accepting that they've been inside all along. Lube em up boys!!
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                    Correct and anyone who doesn't appeal will, imho, be seen as both not taking due care and by extension accepting that they've been inside all along. Lube em up boys!!
                    Only if (and don't take this the wrong way DaveB as it's not aimed at you) you wait long enough to for an SDS determination to be issued.

The ideal approach was to leave early enough that no SDS determination was done for your contract / role...

Comment

Working...
                    X