• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What % of contractors are caught by the IR35 private sector reform?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What % of contractors are caught by the IR35 private sector reform?

I know small companies are exempt, is that using the SME definition of 250 FTE?

I have actually never contracted with anyone that large so I genuinely have no idea what fraction of contracting 'spots' are at large companies Vs small ones? Do we have data on:

- relative number of contractors to permies based on company size
    - absolute number of contractors based on company size?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

No idea.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Small Company as per the Companies Act:

Prepare annual accounts for a private limited company: Micro-entities, small and dormant companies - GOV.UK

Your company will be ‘small’ if it has any 2 of the following:

a turnover of £10.2 million or less
      £5.1 million or less on its balance sheet
      50 employees or less
      So it really is pretty small. That said, no data, but I've realised how banking centric this forum is and how different my contract experience is. I've had at least 2 or 3 customers that meet the Small Business Definition.

Comment

Yes, there are a lot of banking bods here.

I've dipped in and out of arms-length retail banking so know that other companies do exist!

I would say quite a lot of people in the other industries I've worked in will be negatively affected but I couldn't give a figure on it.

Comment

Just checked that website Find fairer IR35 clients. OffPayroll.org.uk and they have changed the layout slightly. It gives little pie charts for each sector. Banking/finance is nearly all red but looks like most others are too.

Granted it isnt going to be perfect but it gives idea and it is pretty bleak.

I know banned and caught aren't the same but the end result is.
          Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Hadn't realised the threshold was as low as 50 employees, that IS pretty comprehensive.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              Hadn't realised the threshold was as low as 50 employees, that IS pretty comprehensive.
              I thought it was any 2 of the conditions, not just employee headcount

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                I thought it was any 2 of the conditions, not just employee headcount
                Indeed but I assume they are picked to largely align.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X