Hypothetical Question Hypothetical Question
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...

    Jim Spector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default Hypothetical Question

    Let’s say there is a fictitious contractor in contract at client since Jan. Blanket inside determination by client. Perm offer made. What’s the likely worst that could happen re retro liabilities if perm offer is accepted? Come at me!

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,575

    Default

    Not easy to find as the outside inside lot and nothing much in the way of penalties...

    Next....
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    The HMRC inspector that comes after you sits across the table from you and sneezes all over you, you get coronavirus, and after infecting everyone you care about you survive, but everyone you know now hates you for it. While you are delirious with a high fever, your wife empties all your accounts, pays for an expensive holiday for two with your credit card, and goes off with the HMRC inspector, who has fully recovered.

  4. #4

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    2,913

    Default

    Oh, and a word of advice, never ask what's the worst that can happen and then say "Come at me."

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Spector View Post
    Let’s say there is a fictitious contractor in contract at client since Jan. Blanket inside determination by client. Perm offer made. What’s the likely worst that could happen re retro liabilities if perm offer is accepted? Come at me!
    Worse could be

    Goes to toilet Friday afternoon, dies of heart attack mid poo and not found till Monday morning, without getting his time sheet signed


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  6. #6

    Still gathering requirements...

    Jim Spector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Worse could be

    Goes to toilet Friday afternoon, dies of heart attack mid poo and not found till Monday morning, without getting his time sheet signed


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Death in service would apply if not found until Monday, but nice try!

  7. #7

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,552

    Default

    Wrong forum for the "come at me" bait.

    Sensible: assuming Jan 2020 start, that's only three months. Retrospectively treat those three months as inside and pay the taxes due.

    Alternative: building on WiB's tale. After your wife has run off with the HMRC inspector, he literally and figuratively pumps her for information about the way you run your LtdCo, hearing about how you put a 75" TV through the company as a "monitor" and that the kitchen extension was also a company expense so you could reclaim the VAT. Suntanned and relaxed from a holiday at your expense, he realised he's now got the clap and opens an enquiry into all your past contracts and hauls your fevered arse over coals. You fail to lube up in time and end up sore in places you never knew existed.

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,575

    Default

    You could find you your next door neighbour is PC who's best mates with your other neighbour who tuns out to be Mb31 who is married to JtB.

    /thread
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    You could find you your next door neighbour is PC who's best mates with your other neighbour who tuns out to be Mb31 who is married to JtB.

    /thread
    Damn... That's harsh

  10. #10

    Still gathering requirements...

    Jim Spector's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    32

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Wrong forum for the "come at me" bait.

    Sensible: assuming Jan 2020 start, that's only three months. Retrospectively treat those three months as inside and pay the taxes due.
    Let’s also say that the contract was reviewed and classed as outside, and working practices in accordance. TLC35 policy in place for all previous work. Perm role is different job title etc. Do you see any grounds for as you say treating the 3 months as inside? (Also given the client determination was a blanket, not case by case)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •