• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time taken for Private Sector to come to its senses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time taken for Private Sector to come to its senses

When the reform came into being for the Public Sector, all its contractors had somewhere else to run to - the Private Sector. The Public Sector therefore have had some motivation to get its head around the IR35 laws to have the entire contractor pot to draw upon.

Now the playing field has been levelled, contractors really have nowhere else to run.

Am just wondering if we will see the same speed of reaction in the Private Sector that one might have done in the Public Sector. I only say 'might' as I have not been in the Public Sector and so have no idea as to how quickly Outside roles became available.

Push to shove, will the Private Sector have any true motivation to get involved?

Originally posted by simes View Post
    When the reform came into being for the Public Sector, all its contractors had somewhere else to run to - the Private Sector. The Public Sector therefore have had some motivation to get its head around the IR35 laws to have the entire contractor pot to draw upon.

Now the playing field has been levelled, contractors really have nowhere else to run.

Am just wondering if we will see the same speed of reaction in the Private Sector that one might have done in the Public Sector. I only say 'might' as I have not been in the Public Sector and so have no idea as to how quickly Outside roles became available.

Push to shove, will the Private Sector have any true motivation to get involved?
    The only question that matters is:-

"Can we get the people we want with an inside IR35 determination?"

If the answer is yes, nothing is going to change.

If the answer is No, its possible that they may hit an agency, or they may just find a suitable consultancy and use that.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      "Can we get the people we want at the price we want with an inside IR35 determination?"
      FTFY.

Eventually a two-tier market will develop. Supply and demand always wins. There will be an excess of supply for the outside jobs, which means clients will be able to get a much better price for them.

That means that clients will pay a premium for inside jobs and a discount for outside ones. For many of the biggest clients, risk will matter more than the cost. For some, they will either mitigate risk by structuring B2B relationships, or insure against the risk, in favour of getting the lower cost.

It may happen quickly or it may take longer but it will happen. Right now it is risk free and cost free to just say, "No more PSCs." Enough are just going brolly that their projects will probably survive. But over time there will be more and more outside roles, priced at a real discount to the inside roles, and cost-conscious decision makers will begin to notice and say, "Can't we take advantage of this with at least some of our contractors?"

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post

Public Sector had to bow down to Government policy and it's ultimate paymaster. Plenty on here said dont worry, wont happen in the Private Sector. Except it has, only worse.

Private Sector stands on it's own feet and isnt bailed out by Government. Private Sector doesnt want the spectre or retrospective (that word again that many on here said 'tough tulip, you deserve it!' to those first affected by it) huge tax bills and HMRC investigations which may, potentially uncover other skeletons in the closet.

Private Sector will therefore take the path or least resistance hence why outside IR35 job will all but disappear.
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
        X