• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 Pulled Out Of Finance Bill Until April 2021

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I almost pulled the trigger and nearly closed the company. I instructed my accountant and engaged an MVL practitioner. Then once day it struck me that I should give it a year and see what happens, so I called the whole thing off.

Of course I didn't see this announcement coming but I am currently in an engagement that is deemed outside by the client, so I am still operating through the company and I made the right decision (for now).

Comment

Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
      My master-plan has worked.

I am the one who created the Coronavirus in a lab in Wuhan in order to rollback IR-35, I hope you are all grateful.

Onward and upward, oh and I just boomed with a 10% uplift.
      That 10% uplift is going to have to pay a lot of civil claims. See you in court.

Comment

And what now for the inbetweenies??

There must be a pile of sub-contractors in my position. My CEST says I'm outside, my contracted client says I'm outside BUT the main client has blanketed all as inside. I have appealed and waiting to hear what the main client is going to do, I'll keep yous posted. Really this extension doesn't change the situation for many. I intend to keep my company open but really cant see a way to stay working for this main client on these projects, without a fairly significant risk. Im pretty sure there is not an option for them to withdraw an inside SDS just to replace it with an outside SDS.....we'll see how that goes! Do clients lodge their determinations with HMRC immediately? Thanks

Comment

I assume the govts stance on ER hasnt changed? It occurs to me that for those looking to MVL... we dodged a bullet with ER in the last announcement.... they could very well fully kill ER next time around so maybe better (if the ER is worth it to you) to go down the MVL path now rather than keep going on ltd even if your client is willing to allow you to operate that way.

Comment

Originally posted by bubble99 View Post
            I assume the govts stance on ER hasnt changed? It occurs to me that for those looking to MVL... we dodged a bullet with ER in the last announcement.... they could very well fully kill ER next time around so maybe better (if the ER is worth it to you) to go down the MVL path now rather than keep going on ltd even if your client is willing to allow you to operate that way.
            What has ER got to do with anything that has changed???
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You couldn't make it up. My old man has finally retired due to IR35 - wonder if it will be another temporary retirement, he's had plenty in the past.

Wondering if I should now get myself another contract up till April 2021 - I dropped out last December to spend my contracting savings on trying to turn some of my side projects into a business. Another years money could be big help.

Anyway, brilliant they have deferred it, hopefully the new chancellor will see sense and ditch it properly by April 2021.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Not only is he taking credit, there are comments from the easily fooled, including one claiming that Dave is 'king of contractors', and another even suggesting he should receive a knighthood.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                  Not only is he taking credit, there are comments from the easily fooled, including one claiming that Dave is 'king of contractors', and another even suggesting he should receive a knighthood.
                  He said on LI in reply if offered he wouldn't accept. I think Dave they were joking.

Comment

Originally posted by dingdong View Post
                    I don't think anyone should get too excited

The way the economy is going at the moment there will be mass culls of contractors soon anyway!
                    It has already started.

I was leaving at the end of March anyway but my client has terminated all contractors effective 31-Mar, including those who were due to continue inside-IR35 or via an umbrella.

Comment

Originally posted by naywansteepanuf View Post
                      this deferral as other have noted has a couple of principal connotations,

1 - the market is open for new outside gigs (assuming the market is still there!) bonus

2 - if you've been deemed inside by your end client being 'proactive' then unless you have the option to successfully challenge this and arrive at an outside SDS then you are by inference inside irrespective of whose responsibility it is the make the determination i.e. you've deemed yourself inside and may have a supporting validation (e.g. from QDOS) BUT your end client has looked at your assignment and deemed it inside which directly contradicts your own determination:

"Dear End Client, Mr HMRC is investigating my status, can you verify my working practices as outside please..."

End Client, "Errm actually no as we have deemed you inside...good luck!"
                      you've deemed yourself inside and may have a supporting validation
                      should say deemed yourself outside...

Comment

Working...
                      X