• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Following re-reform, companies ignoring the opportunity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Yup but IMO it's fairly blank and white in most cases. Many people will be; -
    • Self determined outside
    • Client says inside
    • Carry on self determining outside
    • When it hits again client says inside again.

A new high risk category has appeared and if we though the existing outside/inside guys were low hanging fruit the new category will just be too tempting to pass. IMO if people are this stupid I'd welcome HMRC's investigation to be honest. Leave the rest of us alone.

Would I be comfortable telling people to stay inside and lost 30% income for a year and find out they don't get investigated? That's a really tough one. Should we point out the near 100% chance of losing a case and how tempting they now look then yes, it's a black and white fact.

The country will have no money this time of year. If I were the gov desperately looking for money how on earth can they pass this one up?
    +2 - I understand the temptation to pocket the extra money but at the end of this the tax system is going to have to be completely rebuilt and HMRC will be after any and all money it can find.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Yes, personally I would stay with the inside role & umbrella, and accept that I'm not going to earn as much this year.

But everyone asking this question isn't going to like that answer...
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

This is dire news. IMO what was going to happen was, permietractors get the boot, the industry goes into a bit of a recession while things are rejigged, and then companies come out and do things propertly.

I work for a mega giant company and they were already rushing through a new SoW business model for contractors to be compliant because they knew they needed them.

With the delay, I suspect we'll basically endure a year of indecision from clients, too scared to re-hire contractors for just one year, and without the impetus to adopt the same compliant SoW driven model.

During which time contractors are gonna be *tuliped*.

I put my CV online etc. a few weeks ago and I've received nothing but two calls. Not even the usual vulture calls for references. It hasn't been this dead since 2009. Fortunately I have an extension, supposedly, so I might be OK. But I would NOT like to be on the bench right now.

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
          This is dire news. IMO what was going to happen was, permietractors get the boot, the industry goes into a bit of a recession while things are rejigged, and then companies come out and do things propertly.

I work for a mega giant company and they were already rushing through a new SoW business model for contractors to be compliant because they knew they needed them.

With the delay, I suspect we'll basically endure a year of indecision from clients, too scared to re-hire contractors for just one year, and without the impetus to adopt the same compliant SoW driven model.

I put my CV online etc. a few weeks ago and I've received nothing but two calls. Not even the usual vulture calls for references. It hasn't been this dead since 2009. Fortunately I have an extension, supposedly, so I might be OK. But I would NOT like to be on the bench right now.
          I completely agree with this opinion.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            +2 - I understand the temptation to pocket the extra money but at the end of this the tax system is going to have to be completely rebuilt and HMRC will be after any and all money it can find.
            And here is the perfect example of how people are going to see it....

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...late-help.html

What's worse than the clients ignoring the legislation is contractors ignoring IR35
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post

Agreed.

I finished my last in Dec and took some time out. After advertising myself again recently the calls just haven't been coming in. Had a few conversations but nothing solid.

Luckily I just started on a new project with some guys I already knew so I'm sorted for another few months. Really not looking forward to the prospects of post-corona-IR35-ravished landscape I must admit.

Comment

Working...
              X