• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Following re-reform, companies ignoring the opportunity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Following re-reform, companies ignoring the opportunity

Last night I, and many others, welcomed the 'news' but wondered if in fact the clients and companies were so far down the road that they would ignore the lifting of the IR35 restrictions.

Today I hear O2 is one such company. Inside only, as of today.

Any others?

I can’t see anything changing, it’s too far down the road.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

most companies will not backtrack now

Comment

The only way companies who have said they'll no longer engage with PSCs will change is if people start leaving to work for other clients who will still engage with PSCs. But, with the economy the way it is, I can't see there being a plentiful number of contracts appearing with such clients.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
          Last night I, and many others, welcomed the 'news' but wondered if in fact the clients and companies were so far down the road that they would ignore the lifting of the IR35 restrictions.

Today I hear O2 is one such company. Inside only, as of today.

Any others?
          The damage has been done. It’s too late for a (albeit temporary) u-turn now.
          It’s not going to help / benefit many.

Comment

We know all this chaps.

I was just popping a thread up to list those who aren't going to 'play'.

Comment

Axa are extending contractors outside, I am told today.

One such already signed up.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                Axa are extending contractors outside, I am told today.

One such already signed up.
                "Extending contractors outside"

???

Don't you mean they will continue to engage with PSCs and let contractors self-determine? They are very different things. I very much doubt Axa are giving these contractors outside determinations (whatever that might mean now).

Comment

I think that this is really, really dangerous from an HMRC pov.

They just have to log all of the new contracts that have switched from outside to inside next year.

I honestly don't know what I would do in this situation and I don't feel able to advise anyone.
                  "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                  - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    I think that this is really, really dangerous from an HMRC pov.

They just have to log all of the new contracts that have switched from outside to inside next year.

I honestly don't know what I would do in this situation and I don't feel able to advise anyone.
                    Yup but IMO it's fairly blank and white in most cases. Many people will be; -
                    • Self determined outside
                    • Client says inside
                    • Carry on self determining outside
                    • When it hits again client says inside again.

A new high risk category has appeared and if we though the existing outside/inside guys were low hanging fruit the new category will just be too tempting to pass. IMO if people are this stupid I'd welcome HMRC's investigation to be honest. Leave the rest of us alone.

Would I be comfortable telling people to stay inside and lost 30% income for a year and find out they don't get investigated? That's a really tough one. Should we point out the near 100% chance of losing a case and how tempting they now look then yes, it's a black and white fact.

The country will have no money this time of year. If I were the gov desperately looking for money how on earth can they pass this one up?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X