No IR35 Delay at RBS No IR35 Delay at RBS - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Posts 41 to 49 of 49
  1. #41

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    43,528

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BolshieBastard View Post
    'One guy'? I personally know of two 'contractors' who had been at Virgin Money in Gosforth for 7 and 10 years respectively. They were both so 'part and parcel' of the client they both had allocated parking spaces. There were permies with less 'service' who couldnt get an allocated space at the same time!
    Walk in to AZ and I'll bet there are two or three people like this in eyesight at any point where ever you are.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  2. #42

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    11,830

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webberg View Post
    I have to say that RBS are doing what is right for them.

    If your role there is genuinely inside IR35 and would be outside only if you and they (in reality more likely the agency "advising" both of you) are prepared to close one eye and squint, then RBS carries a risk.

    May not be financial for 2020/21 but is reputational and will put RBS firmly in the "to be investigated" pile in April 2021.

    RBS (and most other banks) are very slowly rebuilding reputations and a large tax enquiry is not going to do that.

    They would rather face the ire of contractors who they know are creatures who find it hard to work together and who they know will be prepared to take on a job which another contractor has turned down on moral principle. In other words, they are counting on contractors being desperate for work. Are they wrong?

    It's time to move into the new reality of contracting.
    True; I think the major issue with the new way of contracting is the restriction on mobility of contractors, i.e. the lack of travel and accommodation expense claim ability.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  3. #43

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Posts
    1

    Default RBS IR35 Decision - Your taxes not at work

    I'm a Contractor at RBS, and a UK taxpayer. The point is that RBS is owned by the British taxpayer, and by declining to extend the IR35 reform, it is actively frustrating the Government's plan to help stabilise the job market, of which the IR35 extension was a key pillar: "Reforms to off-payroll working rules have been delayed by 12 months as part of the government's COVID-19 Economic Response Package" HMRC 18/03/2020.

    I've spoken to some of the people involved with the decision at the bank - they are perversely convinced that the IR35 extension was for their benefit, and as they had already onboarded all contractors via Umbrellas, they couldn't reverse the policy. This is flawed on a whole bunch of levels, but it boils down to RBS not wanting to put in the effort to discern contract workers from workers who were taking advantage of the system. Baby / Bathwater / Out. As for the 'right thing to do' in this fragile time - another miss.

    My solution is to require them to gross up my pay to cover the increased costs. So in addition to the reputational damage this is going to cause them, it costs them more £. Well played RBS.

  4. #44

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
    I'm a Contractor at RBS, and a UK taxpayer. The point is that RBS is owned by the British taxpayer, and by declining to extend the IR35 reform, it is actively frustrating the Government's plan to help stabilise the job market, of which the IR35 extension was a key pillar: "Reforms to off-payroll working rules have been delayed by 12 months as part of the government's COVID-19 Economic Response Package" HMRC 18/03/2020.

    I've spoken to some of the people involved with the decision at the bank - they are perversely convinced that the IR35 extension was for their benefit, and as they had already onboarded all contractors via Umbrellas, they couldn't reverse the policy. This is flawed on a whole bunch of levels, but it boils down to RBS not wanting to put in the effort to discern contract workers from workers who were taking advantage of the system. Baby / Bathwater / Out. As for the 'right thing to do' in this fragile time - another miss.

    My solution is to require them to gross up my pay to cover the increased costs. So in addition to the reputational damage this is going to cause them, it costs them more £. Well played RBS.
    They're thick as pig tulip aren't they? Do they really think all these 'wronged' contractors are going to turn up for work on Monday and bust a gut for the cause? Ha ha ha. Laughable. Now, what will happen is that nothing will get done as morale will be on the floor and all efforts will be on securing an 'outside' contract. Eventually they'll leave and months will be wasted trying to find another mug who will fill the inside role. Rinse and repeat until the penny finally drops.

  5. #45

    Double Godlike!

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    10,884

    Default

    and where are all these 'other' gigs?
    get a grip.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  6. #46

    Fingers like lightning


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    809

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    and where are all these 'other' gigs?
    get a grip.
    Well, I have 3 good possibilities on the go and I'm not really looking, given I planned on taking a few months off to see how IR35 panned out. To be fair, 2 of those are with previous clients. I do believe that a strong client base and a good network of contacts are key to acquiring work in the current climate. If you're still surfing Jobserve pressing F5 every few minutes, you're 10 years too late.

  7. #47

    Default No IR35 Delay at RBS

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverson View Post
    They're thick as pig tulip aren't they? Do they really think all these 'wronged' contractors are going to turn up for work on Monday and bust a gut for the cause? Ha ha ha. Laughable. Now, what will happen is that nothing will get done as morale will be on the floor and all efforts will be on securing an 'outside' contract. Eventually they'll leave and months will be wasted trying to find another mug who will fill the inside role. Rinse and repeat until the penny finally drops.
    Exactly this

    My mate is a program manager at RBS his exact same workforce (contractor to permie) that regularly delivered projects on time every time (working crazy hours and weekends) now finish at 5pm, take holidays and sick leave and reported him to HR for suggesting the work a weekend


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  8. #48

    Godlike

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    9,398

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverson View Post
    Well, I have 3 good possibilities on the go and I'm not really looking, given I planned on taking a few months off to see how IR35 panned out. To be fair, 2 of those are with previous clients. I do believe that a strong client base and a good network of contacts are key to acquiring work in the current climate. If you're still surfing Jobserve pressing F5 every few minutes, you're 10 years too late.
    I have to say, there is some truth in this. My network has an uncanny way of dropping something in my lap at just the right time. That said, they don't come through every time and even I have had to take a job at RBS for a few months. It's not a place I would rush back to and I (fortunately) wasn't there long enough to make enough of an impression that I'd be someone they'd call on again.

  9. #49

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2019
    Posts
    1,058

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by timmyd View Post
    My solution is to require them to gross up my pay to cover the increased costs. So in addition to the reputational damage this is going to cause them, it costs them more £. Well played RBS.
    How much extra have RBS agreed to increase your day rate by?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •