• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

80% Salary Grant, Furlough and IR35 Impact

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

80% Salary Grant, Furlough and IR35 Impact

There was an employment lawyer on the BBC News talking about the governments plan to provide workers impacted by Covid-19 with up to 80% of their pay. When asked how this would work, he said it would be managed via HMRC and likely that staff would be "furloughed" by their employers (he then went on to describe what that was).

We often read here a "I'm not an employee as employees can't be furloughed" argument to validate an outside IR35 (self) determination. I wouldn't put it past HMRC to now use this as a counter-argument in future.

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    There was an employment lawyer on the BBC News talking about the governments plan to provide workers impacted by Covid-19 with up to 80% of their pay. When asked how this would work, he said it would be managed via HMRC and likely that staff would be "furloughed" by their employers (he then went on to describe what that was).

We often read here a "I'm not an employee as employees can't be furloughed" argument to validate an outside IR35 (self) determination. I wouldn't put it past HMRC to now use this as a counter-argument in future.
    No the argument used is that the contractors were not required that week while permanent staff continued working - which emphasised the difference between being a contractor and a member of staff...

It's the actuality that is important for the argument not the theory
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      No the argument used is that the contractors were not required that week while permanent staff continued working - which emphasised the difference between being a contractor and a member of staff...

Agreed.

In companies now furloughing staff, I suspect the contractors will be binned as I doubt the companies will keep paying them. So, still different treatment for contractors vs employees.

Comment

Look at the dictionary definition for furlough. It mentions about employees.
        Contractors aren't furloghed. I wish we would stop using the term.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          From an old email

Good morning

Further to the email received advising you that you are required to take two weeks unpaid leave between now and Nov. 6, 2015, we have been instructed to confirm the following days to you:

Furlough week 1 - 26/10/2015 - 30/10/2015
          Furlough week 2 - 02/11/2015 - 06/11/2015

You are required to enter these non-working days as zero hours into Fieldglass when submitting your timesheets.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions.

Pontoon Contract Labour Team for Bank of America Merrill Lynch

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Unpaid leave?? What are you? An employee?

I'd have sent that back and have them rewording it saying your services are not required over those times.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              From an old email

Good morning

Further to the email received advising you that you are required to take two weeks unpaid leave between now and Nov. 6, 2015, we have been instructed to confirm the following days to you:

Furlough week 1 - 26/10/2015 - 30/10/2015
              Furlough week 2 - 02/11/2015 - 06/11/2015

You are required to enter these non-working days as zero hours into Fieldglass when submitting your timesheets.

Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions.

Pontoon Contract Labour Team for Bank of America Merrill Lynch

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              Ah! Fieldglass, that brinks back memories!
              I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                You need to speak to clients about that I’m afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  Agreed.

In companies now furloughing staff, I suspect the contractors will be binned as I doubt the companies will keep paying them. So, still different treatment for contractors vs employees.
                  I agree with both, but will HMRC? We all know they pick their own version of reality.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                    You need to speak to clients about that I’m afraid.
                    Not really. We should be able to differentiate from their bad use of terminology.

Comment

Working...
                    X