• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

As you were, for now.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As you were, for now.

Client Co. have withdrawn all provisional statements on IR35 status in light of the postponement of the legislation and the current crisis.

New 3 month contract in the post with a statement that engagements will continue under the original arrangements and no determinations on status will be issued.

I'm going to call that a win for now.

Meeting booked with Client Co. hiring manager to plan for when it all comes around again, assuming I'm still here.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Got to ask the question.. So you are staying outside despite the client assessing the role as inside?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Got to ask the question.. So you are staying outside despite the client assessing the role as inside?
      But surely that is going to be the new norm now ?. It feels like many of us have been pushed and pulled and "tricked" into the current situation..a lot of us are very dubious about the inside determinations as the outcome "required" by the client was an inside determination and lo and behold thats what they got.

I really believe that the post virus world is going to be very different maybe this is the kick that was needed to fully reform tax law.

Comment

Originally posted by andydd68 View Post
        But surely that is going to be the new norm now ?. It feels like many of us have been pushed and pulled and "tricked" into the current situation..a lot of us are very dubious about the inside determinations as the outcome "required" by the client was an inside determination and lo and behold thats what they got.

I really believe that the post virus world is going to be very different maybe this is the kick that was needed to fully reform tax law.
        I think the opposite. They will desperately need as much money as they can get their hands on quickly and will double-down as soon as they possibly can.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Client has withdrawn the assessment, there is no determination. They have stated that the engagements continue as before, i.e. outside as determined by QDOS etc.

With Covid they are now desperate not to lose any more people as a good chunk of their contractor resource pool, around 20%, had left even before we got to this point.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Client has withdrawn the assessment, there is no determination.
            If they made a determination, then you cannot just rewrite history and pretend that did not happen. You know about it, so you've lost any chance of plausible deniability if, in x years, HMRC come calling and ask the client for any evidence. At that point, you knew the client thought you were inside.

Do you trust the client to hide the facts from HMRC if they ever ask?

They have stated that the engagements continue as before, i.e. outside as determined by QDOS etc.
            The client should be having no involvement in your status determination.

At a minimum, you should assess the overall financial risk you are exposed to (pre and post April 2020 at that client)
            Last edited by Paralytic; 24 March 2020, 10:42.

Comment

Client has withdrawn the assessment, there is no determination. They have stated that the engagements continue as before, i.e. outside as determined by QDOS etc.

With Covid they are now desperate not to lose any more people as a good chunk of their contractor resource pool, around 20%, had left even before we got to this point.
              So what's changed that the client felt the need to call it inside? If the outside determination is at question then continuing as before doesn't mean everything is OK no? If the client picked on something that the contractor is assuming or doesn't match the contract then your insurances could be invalid?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                Do you trust the client to hide the facts from HMRC if they ever ask?
                Client won't have any "facts", as they would have deleted them and been compliant with GDPR Article 17.

Contractor won't have any "facts", as they would have conveniently forgotten about them.
                Last edited by Swiftly; 24 March 2020, 10:52.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                  I think the opposite. They will desperately need as much money as they can get their hands on quickly and will double-down as soon as they possibly can.
                  I'm with this. Hard times need desperate measures but these measures are going to take decades to pay back. Gov is propping the country up in the short term but we will be propping the gov up for many more years to come. IMO there will be no going back to where we were 6 months ago for many years.

Comment

The reality is that the client views you as inside and that will matter at tribunal (they won’t support you) even if the weight of evidence points to your being outside in the end (in other words, I think you’re taking a risk).

Comment

Working...
                    X