• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Using an Umbrella company for March 2020 earnings, have been taxed as if April 2020

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using an Umbrella company for March 2020 earnings, have been taxed as if April 2020

Like many contractors when the blanket assessments were done I was inundated with offers from Umbrellas. As I could see no IR35 light at the end of the tunnel I thought Id join an umbrella as soon as possible, as I was guessing it would be a bit chaotic by April with thousands of contractors looking for umbrellas.

By the time the Corona virus IR35 year long 'reprieve' came , I'd already signed the contract and had begun closing down my old limited company , bank account etc.

Yet what has followed is pretty horrible financially. As well as been a question this thread perhaps also acts as a warning for people next year to take care.

The invoice process for the agency is automated based on timesheets and the monthly invoice for March was produced and sent to the umbrella on 14th April. Because of this the Umbrella assessed my tax based on April 2020 /21 rates ie PAYE week 1 of the tax year, so the tax incurred includes approx £700 for Employers NI, even though my PAYE income 2019/20 is wll below the secondary threshold required before you have to pay 13.8% Employers NI

HMRC have also automatically reassessed my tax code based on 'unearned income' ie dividends that they expect I will earn this year (based on previous years dividends), although I wont earn any dividends under the Umbrella. They are recouping the money they believe I owe from me by changing my PAYE tax code to -£10,000 L and helping themselves via PAYE.

Does the above seem correct to anyone in the know regarding tax issues. It seems somehow wrong to be taxed for March work as if it is April. This wouldnt happen for a normal PAYE worker which presumably HMRC are trying to convert us to.

So speak to you employer and get them to alter the tax codes to something more like you are going to earn?

If they won't do it ring HMRC yourself and do it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You get taxed on money in the month that you receive it. Work in March, paid in April, taxed in April. Not sure why you think differently?

As for the tax code, I've just gone permie and had the same issue where HMRC issued a 0T code. Quick call to explain that I am now permie and no longer expecting to receive dividends and it was sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
        You get taxed on money in the month that you receive it. Work in March, paid in April, taxed in April. Not sure why you think differently?

As for the tax code, I've just gone permie and had the same issue where HMRC issued a 0T code. Quick call to explain that I am now permie and no longer expecting to receive dividends and it was sorted.
        You can do this online too..if you go to your tax code hmrc page it lists the dividends it expects you to get based on year before, obviously if you arnt going to get any it messes up your code.

Comment

Working...
        X