• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Lords damn IR35 changes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lords damn IR35 changes

Lords: New IR35 off-payroll tax rules 'riddled with problems, unfairnesses, unintended consequences' • The Register

Interesting or worthless?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Worthless

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Could be both...?

Might be worthy if someone can show a precedent for a Lords' enquiry having lead to something being overturned.

A quick search brought this to the surface. Please let us all know if this constitutes as such.

Lords overturn MPs with vote for second Leveson inquiry | Media | The Guardian

Comment

Worthless in any formal sense because it's part of a Finance Bill, which is waved through the Lords by precedent, and the gov't has already recommitted to the changes. There's a slim chance they may rethink between now and next April, but I doubt it. Not worthless in an informal sense because it's pretty damning.

Comment

It would be short sighted to reintroduce in 2021 as I doubt we'll be fully out of the fallout from COVID-19 by then. But HMG will be broke and desperate to find a way, any way, to increase tax revenues...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            It would be short sighted to reintroduce in 2021 as I doubt we'll be fully out of the fallout from COVID-19 by then. But HMG will be broke and desperate to find a way, any way, to increase tax revenues...
            Start taxing the havens properly like IOM.

Start focusing on using UK residents for gainful employment (instead of TCS, etc) so that more tax take stays on these shores, etc. Create a Richard Branson tax to recoup a lot of what he has dodged. Tax Bono and Geldof any time they want to get publicity. Tax Katie Price any time she wheels poor Harvey out in front of the cameras. Make PPV execution of child rapists a thing.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Or, just raise Corp Tax a notch or two.

Everyone keeps working, nothing scary, no drastic changes to get ones collective head around...

Comment

We all know that so called "self-employment" in reality is a term used to disguise tax evasion.

Just read the published briefings. There is nothing about doing business on your own account. People just don't want to pay the same tax as their colleague next to them who is an employee hero and they go through the difficulty of incorporation, finding accountant, buying insurance, creating their business offer, office, getting all the right tools, just to save those few hundred pounds that they can then spend on booze and loose men or women.

If you want to finance your company accounts through your own work, so that you can start Uber, Airbnb of the future, then that's unfortunately not going to happen in this country. Entrepreneurship is only for the wealthy or for people having good relationship with their bank.

On a more serious note, I've been reading Jesse Norman responses and I just can't believe such stubbornness, lack of lateral thinking and common sense doesn't disqualify someone from having such office.

What is the HMRC end game?

Looking at who wins because of this legislation, it is hard to not think about some perverse influence going on behind the closed doors.

Comment

Div tax will equal PAYE tax as its only fair we all pay back what has been lent. Making IR35 a future academic argument.
                  Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
                    Div tax will equal PAYE tax as its only fair we all pay back what has been lent. Making IR35 a future academic argument.
                    There is no problem when umbrella pays basic salary plus commission. Just make NI payable on dividends or treat them as any other income.

But that would be too simple? Imagine how many people at HMRC would suddenly find they have nothing to do.

Forcing self-employed person to take entire fee as a salary makes it impossible to conduct business. That will be the end of small entrepreneurship.

Comment

Working...
                    X