• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contractors in the below constituencies please write to your MPs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because both MPs are not 2017 finance bill supporters and their IR35 stance is unclear from social media. That is why their constituency are on my list. Though by the looks of it; both of you know your MPs IR35 stance thus do not bother to write; which is perfectly fine. There are still many constituencies of which their MPs could be poked about the subject.

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
    Same with Bassetlaw.

Comment

Location of campaign letter?

I'm looking for a copy of the campaign letter to send to my local MP? Can you send it over to me or paste a link that would take me over to it?

Comment

[TEMPLATE EMAIL FOR LABOUR MPs - for you to adapt and personalise]

[If your own MP is supportive, please include the section in blue - and do feel free to expand on this]

[Add/change the details in red]

Dear [MP Name]

I am emailing you to ask you to ensure the Labour Party properly opposes the ‘off-payroll working rules’ extension into the private sector, which will result in thousands of UK workers facing Zero Rights Employment.

I appreciate that you have been personally very supportive on this issue, but I was dismayed to see that the Labour Party frontbench failed to support David Davis’ amendment a few weeks ago which would have delayed the private sector roll-out off-payroll rules till 2023.

The Labour Party now needs to stand up for workers’ rights and properly oppose the roll-out.

This flawed legislation is now being introduced in the Public Bill Committee of the Finance Bill - and I am asking you and the Labour Party to oppose it throughout the Finance Bill.

Letting this go through means allowing the Conservatives to open up a new era of Zero Rights Employment, where workers are taxed as employees but with NO employment rights or employment benefits. This is appalling and represents the biggest threat to workers rights in decades.

If Labour fails to oppose this it will hammer hard working self-employed people and push their work offshore.

These issues were all originally raised by Labour MPs Paul Sweeney and Ged Killen who first brought the matter to the attention of Parliament, including yourself, and called for a rethink. Many Labour MPs have signed two Early Day Motions on the subject and many signed the election pledge. The now Shadow Chancellor made clear in a speech last year that the Government was wrong to be pushing this through, when lessons haven’t been learnt from the damage done in the public sector (the flawed off-payroll rules have driven many locum doctors and nurses out of the NHS and it has also led to problems and delays for large public sector projects). Yet the Labour frontbench haven’t opposed this.

This flawed Tory policy has already caused damage. The impact of the planned roll-out in April this year saw many self-employed contractors lose work, and many were forced to accept pay cuts and Zero Rights Employment, as corporations passed their new tax bills onto workers. Typical of a Conservative policy, it does nothing to large companies who just find ways around it and at the same erodes workers rights. It is also notable and troubling that The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak’s father-in-law co-founded consultancy Infosys, who are set to benefit from the off-payroll roll-out.

The Labour Shadow MP, Dan Carden MP, said in the recent debate on the Budget resolution that employment law must be aligned with tax law, so that anyone taxed as an employee, receives rights and benefits as an employee. Yet this will NOT happen if the off-payroll rules are introduced - so Labour MUST properly call for this and act accordingly in the Finance Bill.

The Conservatives cannot be trusted on this measure - and certainly can’t be trusted on workers rights. The Government keeps misleading MPs on matters of law, by claiming this is about two people doing “broadly the same job being taxed the same” - this is not true. The Tories are about to enact law which means “deemed employees” will NOT be given the same rights, and in the process severely damage the flexible workforce, vital for recovery of economic growth. And disgracefully, they are ignoring these exact points, laid out to them in the damning House of Lords Finance Bill Sub Committee report Off-payroll reforms: treating people fairly.

I’m now urging you and the Labour Party to stop the Tory Off-Payroll Tax and to call for a proper review of self-employment and the off-payroll legislation to bring alignment and fairness across tax AND employment law. This is essential to stop the Tories eroding workers’ rights and herald in a new era of Zero Rights Employment. The Labour Party must stop this. I ask you to ask the new Shadow Chancellor Anneliese Dodds and new leader Keir Starmer to do so too and to stand up for workers’ rights.

I hope to hear from you soon with confirmation that the Labour Party now recognises the injustice that the policy introduces and that you will oppose Zero Rights Employment. This means Labour will oppose the Tory Off-Payroll Tax until a fairer alternative can be proposed.

Yours sincerely,

[Your Name and postal address]
        _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Comment

[TEMPLATE EMAIL FOR CONSERVATIVE MPs - for you to adapt and personalise]

Dear [MP name]

I am emailing you, to ask you to commit to opposing the damaging ‘off-payroll working rules’ (IR35) which is hugely detrimental to the UK economy and also means thousands of UK workers face Zero Rights Employment.

This flawed policy is now being introduced in the Public Bill Committee of the Finance Bill and I am asking you to oppose it throughout the Finance Bill and to tell the Government to think again.

This flawed policy has already caused damage. The impact of the planned roll-out in April this year saw many self-employed contractors lose work, and many were forced to accept pay cuts and Zero Rights Employment, as corporations passed their new tax bills onto workers.

This flawed legislation would open up a new era of Zero Rights Employment, where workers are taxed as employees, but with NO employment rights or employment benefits. This is appalling and represents the biggest threat to workers rights in decades. To avoid Zero Rights Employment, employment law must be aligned with tax law, so that anyone taxed as an employee, receives rights and benefits as an employee. Yet this will NOT happen if the off-payroll rules are introduced.

The rhetoric behind this policy is deeply misleading, it is claimed this is about two people doing “broadly the same job being taxed the same” - this is not true. This flawed legislation actually means “deemed employees” will NOT be given the same rights, and in the process severely damage the flexible workforce, vital for recovery of economic growth. Disgracefully the Government is ignoring this fact and ignoring the damning House of Lords Finance Bill Sub Committee report Off-payroll reforms: treating people fairly.

I’m now urging you to oppose the Off-Payroll Tax roll-out and to call for a proper review of self-employment and the off-payroll legislation to bring alignment and fairness across tax AND employment law.

The Conservatives promised a review of self-employment, INCLUDING IR35, in the manifesto. This review hasn’t yet taken place, so it is wrong to be pushing the IR35 Off-Payroll Tax into law now. I urge you to call for this review to happen and to support a pause until the review has been completed. This is vital to avoiding the damaging effects to the economy and to many contractors and freelancers who are vital in getting the economy back on track post Covid-19.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Comment

[TEMPLATE EMAIL FOR all other (non Conservative/Labour) MPs - for you to adapt and pe

Dear [MP name]

I am emailing you, to ask you to commit to opposing the damaging ‘off-payroll working rules’ (IR35) which means thousands of UK workers face Zero Rights Employment.

This is now being introduced in the Public Bill Committee of the Finance Bill - and I am asking you and your party to oppose it throughout the Finance Bill.

This flawed legislation would open up a new era of Zero Rights Employment, where workers are taxed as employees, but with NO employment rights or employment benefits. This is appalling and represents the biggest threat to workers rights in decades.

This flawed Tory policy has already caused damage. The impact of the planned roll-out in April this year saw many self-employed contractors lose work, and many were forced to accept pay cuts and Zero Rights Employment, as corporations passed their new tax bills onto workers. Typical of a Conservative policy, it does nothing to large companies who just find ways around it and at the same erodes workers rights. It is also notable and troubling that The Chancellor, Rishi Sunak’s father-in-law co-founded consultancy Infosys, who are set to benefit from the off-payroll roll-out.

To avoid Zero Rights Employment, employment law must be aligned with tax law, so that anyone taxed as an employee, receives rights and benefits as an employee. Yet this will NOT happen if the off-payroll rules are introduced.

The Conservatives cannot be trusted on this measure - and certainly can’t be trusted on workers rights. The Government keeps misleading MPs on matters of law, by claiming this is about two people doing “broadly the same job being taxed the same” - this is not true. The Tories are about to enact law which means “deemed employees” will NOT be given the same rights, and in the process severely damage the flexible workforce, vital for recovery of economic growth. Disgracefully, they are ignoring these exact points laid out to them in the damning House of Lords Finance Bill Sub Committee report Off-payroll reforms: treating people fairly.

I’m now urging you and your party to stop the Tory Off-Payroll Tax and to call for a proper review of self-employment and the off-payroll legislation to bring alignment and fairness across tax AND employment law.

This is essential to stop the Tories eroding workers’ rights and herald in a new era of Zero Rights Employment.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Comment

Great! I put the the latest templates above please choose the one that suits the party of your MP.

Originally posted by Boltonian View Post
              I'm looking for a copy of the campaign letter to send to my local MP? Can you send it over to me or paste a link that would take me over to it?

Comment

Originally posted by blackeagle View Post
                I have made a draft study and came out with below constituencies where we know MPs from those constituencies didn't vote for 2017 bill and their i35 stance still not clear by the looks of their social media activities. I thought by reaching out to you contractor colleagues living in these constituencies we will have a more targeted strategy to reach out to more MPs and have our voices be heard.

<SNIP>
                Redditch
                Rachael Maclean - Conservative. Sock puppet. I wrote to her three times on the run up to the previous implementation of IR35 and only got a reply once where she basically 'forwarded my concerns' on to the treasury and I got the standard Jesse Norman boilerplate response: "blah blah extensive research, blah blah no detriment to the public sector, blah blah two people doing the same job should pay the same tax etc."

I think her stance is pretty clear: she'll toe the party line however she's instructed.

Comment

I have written to Gove...let's see whether I get a thought out reply?
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by eatenrifles View Post
                    Rachael Maclean - Conservative. Sock puppet. I wrote to her three times on the run up to the previous implementation of IR35 and only got a reply once where she basically 'forwarded my concerns' on to the treasury and I got the standard Jesse Norman boilerplate response: "blah blah extensive research, blah blah no detriment to the public sector, blah blah two people doing the same job should pay the same tax etc."

I think her stance is pretty clear: she'll toe the party line however she's instructed.
                    I get used to hear the blah blah from Jesse but I cannot stand anymore the political games as the last MP to speak about the IR35 today did the same blah blah to support HMRC and Jesse's blah blah and that actually is getting on my nerves!

Comment

Working...
                    X