• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MPs vote down bid to delay IR35 reforms, press ahead with new tax rules

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    The market will eventually resolve that issue, just like it has already done for the public sector.
    There is a huge difference between reality of the market in public sector versus private sector. If public sector organisation messes up the status determination, the penalty they get is an equivalent if the caught private sector company had to pay the penalty to its parent company. Basically public sector risks nothing when issuing outside contracts and wrong determinations in private sector may bankrupt the company.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
      There is a huge difference between reality of the market in public sector versus private sector. If public sector organisation messes up the status determination, the penalty they get is an equivalent if the caught private sector company had to pay the penalty to its parent company. Basically public sector risks nothing when issuing outside contracts and wrong determinations in private sector may bankrupt the company.
      Interesting view on how public sector funding works... they don't risk next year's funding lightly.

Nevertheless, a year of WIPRO's inadequacies or of PwCs vastly overpriced services or of seeing their best people leaving for more enlightened work and some managers will be looking to get back to the cost/value equation we offer in comparison.

Also it won't be too long before the deliberate creation of a class of worker with zero employment rights rears its ugly head. That is actually the most likely driver for future changes.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Interesting view on how public sector funding works... they don't risk next year's funding lightly.
        Because that's extra paperwork and headache (not that particular body risks being closed down), plus they can blame wrong SDS on HRMC tooling and ask for greater budget next year.

Comment

Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
          May be but Public sectors are also shrouded in bureaucracy and rules. They are much more likely to follow the rules to the letter when issuing determination, usually meaning they will err on the safe side. I'm at PS at the moment and we've a mix of inside and outside and when discussing this with them they are pretty firm on what they consider inside and outside. It generally starts with wether the role is filling a perm role or is a temp role. You could argue they are doing it correctly but the down side is they aren't being flexible enough in borderline roles that would help them and the contractor.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            May be but Public sectors are also shrouded in bureaucracy and rules. They are much more likely to follow the rules to the letter when issuing determination, usually meaning they will err on the safe side. I'm at PS at the moment and we've a mix of inside and outside and when discussing this with them they are pretty firm on what they consider inside and outside. It generally starts with wether the role is filling a perm role or is a temp role. You could argue they are doing it correctly but the down side is they aren't being flexible enough in borderline roles that would help them and the contractor.
            IME it depends on where the funding comes from. If it is filling a permanent role in the organisation there will be money allocated in the revenue budget for the year. If it is on a project, then funding will be from the project funding (which indirectly comes from Central Government). It does offer one way to differentiate between in and out of IR35 - although no doubt there are other complexities.

I lost a gig once when the person whose "role" I was being paid for came back from long term sick leave, meaning there was no money for me - this despite being only half way through the job I was hired to deliver, which was well outside the civil servant's remit or experience. Mind you, that was MOD - strange things happen there!
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
              Credit should go to Dave Chaplin for being one of the few to be vocally championing the contracting sector. The IPSE approach over recent years of going from the more shouty PCG to the schmoozing IPSE also showed that the softly softly approach didn't work either.

Ultimately the failure of his campaign was all about numbers. 4000 noisy constituents/supporters was never going to carry sufficient weight. You need Extinction Rebellion or BLM size demonstrations and lobbying to have an impact.

I think credit should be given where it is due to both Chaplin and IPSE for trying, even if the misguided "knocking it our of the ballpark" never happened.

As for Chaplin making a few quid, check out the company accounts on Companies House and judge for yourself. Fair play to him though as he's a grafter and I won't begrudge whatever he's made.
              Whilst I agree IPSE were terrible I’m not giving any credit to a man who claimed his campaign was responsible for a whole bunch of things it was not.

He’s a charlatan of the highest order, gives false hope to many and ultimately used it to plug himself.

Comment

Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
                Credit should go to Dave Chaplin for being one of the few to be vocally championing the contracting sector. The IPSE approach over recent years of going from the more shouty PCG to the schmoozing IPSE also showed that the softly softly approach didn't work either.

Ultimately the failure of his campaign was all about numbers. 4000 noisy constituents/supporters was never going to carry sufficient weight. You need Extinction Rebellion or BLM size demonstrations and lobbying to have an impact.

I think credit should be given where it is due to both Chaplin and IPSE for trying, even if the misguided "knocking it our of the ballpark" never happened.

As for Chaplin making a few quid, check out the company accounts on Companies House and judge for yourself. Fair play to him though as he's a grafter and I won't begrudge whatever he's made.
                Ipse have had more than £120 million in member fees since 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                  Ipse have had more than £120 million in member fees since 1999

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                  And...?
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

IPSE had £923 630 NAV in their last published Accounts. They have managed to spend most of it on a number of things which might, (or might not) have been in the best interests of their UK Membership body. Take a look at how the Members' capital has been reduced over the past 5 years.

Recent changes to Chairman, CEO and Senior Leadership Team. Might be interesting to hear the reasons behind this, for the benefit of the remaining members. For me, the horse bolted when they decided to make it a self-appointing Board and and executive run Organisation. The Members merely became the source of funds.
                    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Invisiblehand View Post
                      Whilst I agree IPSE were terrible I’m not giving any credit to a man who claimed his campaign was responsible for a whole bunch of things it was not.

He’s a charlatan of the highest order, gives false hope to many and ultimately used it to plug himself.
                      I don't think that's fair - at the same time as trying to create an on-going business model (IR35 Shield) he spent time trying to make the business he was creating irrelevant...

Now as I said before personally the fight was a complete waste of time - the decision was clear years ago but some was going to stand up and try to do something once it was clear that IPSE weren't going to.
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X