• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tagged in Slack as "Contrator inside IR35"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tagged in Slack as "Contrator inside IR35"

So just now a colleague in the US looked me up in Slack while screensharing, and I noticed that for my end client's US office I'm tagged as "EU Contractor inside IR35". I guess that's wrong on two counts, EU and IR35 It's the IR35 bit that I wanted to question. As a result of the deferral until 2021 I'm outside, so it's factually inaccurate. Setting that aside, should I be concerned that the end client feels it's necessary to identify people in this way? Interested to hear people's thoughts. Thanks.

End client does not give a hoot, you are a bod working like a permie

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

If you're marking yourself outside of IR35 I would definitely be concerned.

As a result of the deferral until 2021 I'm outside, so it's factually inaccurate.
      Well, no. As a result of the deferral, you continue to be responsible for your own determination and the consequences of it. Whether that means you are inside or outside is a very different question.

Comment

Yes, you should be worried in the sense that the client will be questioned by HMRC under investigation so, if they see you as a permie, you'd struggle to convince HMRC (or a tribunal) otherwise, absent some excellent record keeping on your part that showed the reality as being very different.

Comment

Originally posted by VirginiaWoolf View Post
          As a result of the deferral until 2021 I'm outside
          And, based on that comment, I'm guessing your record keeping isn't so excellent...

Comment

I had a similar discussion today about how to categorise contractors. Contractors in my business mean companies taking on sheet piling, catering or cleaning. 68 emails later I am no nearer a resolution with a particularly difficult client.
            Former IPSE member
            My Website

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              If you're marking yourself outside of IR35 I would definitely be concerned.

Well, no. As a result of the deferral, you continue to be responsible for your own determination and the consequences of it. Whether that means you are inside or outside is a very different question.
              Point taken, badly worded on my part. What I should have said is that the contract with the end client doesn't state that I'm inside.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Yes, you should be worried in the sense that the client will be questioned by HMRC under investigation so, if they see you as a permie, you'd struggle to convince HMRC (or a tribunal) otherwise, absent some excellent record keeping on your part that showed the reality as being very different.
                Can you explain "absent some excellent record keeping" - do you mean apart from, not absent? Or what? Thx

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  And, based on that comment, I'm guessing your record keeping isn't so excellent...
                  Badly expressed on my part, I should have said that my contract with them does not state inside. It would have done, had the reforms not been deferred.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    End client does not give a hoot, you are a bod working like a permie

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                    I'm definitely just a bod mostly pushing treacle up hill but is it OK to tag people like that? Without informing us, without explaining their reasoning (even if an explanation was all guff)?

Comment

Working...
                    X