• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IPSE have just suggested a "Contractor" Levy as the equivalent of Employers NI

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IPSE have just suggested a "Contractor" Levy as the equivalent of Employers NI

See Parliamentlive.tv - Treasury Committee starting at 10:37:40
    Last edited by eek; 20 October 2020, 10:37.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I'm surprised by the lack of comments in the past 4 hours. The IPSE suggest an engager / contractor levy and yet no one comments.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        I'm surprised by the lack of comments in the past 4 hours. The IPSE suggest an engager / contractor levy and yet no one comments.
        Engager or contractor? They've suggested engager before. It might be semantics in the sense that we know where it ends up, but it would be something to suggest a levy directly on their members. Then again, is anyone really surprised by IPSE anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Engager or contractor? They've suggested engager before. It might be semantics in the sense that we know where it ends up, but it would be something to suggest a levy directly on their members. Then again, is anyone really surprised by IPSE anymore?
          He literally couldn't make his mind up (just go to I think 1 minute later). Either way it would be 13.4% straight off the headline budget figure which would previously have been going to the contractor.
          Last edited by eek; 20 October 2020, 14:35.

Comment

I recall this levy (or something simiar) being suggested at the last policy session IPSE held with those peeps from that think tank. I don't recall it being especially well received by the membership?

Once again, it's more tinkering around the edges rather than a full review of taxation.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              I recall this levy (or something simiar) being suggested at the last policy session IPSE held with those peeps from that think tank. I don't recall it being especially well received by the membership?

Once again, it's more tinkering around the edges rather than a full review of taxation.
              You surprise me...

I wonder what the chairman thinks (because being blunt Derek's performance today was selling out everything PCG stood for).

Comment

You surprise me...

I wonder what the chairman thinks....
                Haven't heard from him in a while...

Comment

He literally couldn't make his mind up (just go to I think 1 minute later). Either way it would be 13.4% straight off the headline budget figure which would previously have been going to the contractor.
                  At some point, they went from being "meh" (add up the costs, subtract the benefits, is it better than zero?) to a serious problem for professional contractors, working against our better interests. Perhaps the bohemian finger painters are pleased with their new union, but they're now worse than useless as an advocate for high-end contractors.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    At some point, they went from being "meh" (add up the costs, subtract the benefits, is it better than zero?) to a serious problem for professional contractors, working against our better interests. Perhaps the bohemian finger painters are pleased with their new union, but they're now worse than useless as an advocate for high-end contractors.
                    For me that was back in 2016 when I had to go and do the work they should have done to fight the expenses changes.

Comment

Working...
                    X