• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Out of contractor hands

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
    FTFY.

I fully expect HMRC to only target clients who have determined contractors outside post April 2021, except in cases where individual contractors are looked at for other/additional specific reasons.
    Why when they know there is a treasure trove there. There will be three main scenarios will there not?

Option A) Outside to outside - HMRC may come looking to check.. but that means time and effort and no certain outcome
    Option B) Outside to inside - Lovely lovely. Pretty easy slam dunk historic cases. May even pay up with a letter. At em boys....
    Option C) Outside to no determination - Interesting. They've done this purely to avoid the hassle of making a determination. Lets go ask them about working practices. If they are inside then we've got a nice tasty option B. Bit more work but the client says WP are inside.

I don't see why you think HMRC will pick the lowest risk vs return option when there are two sitting ducks there. The 'no determination' you keep banging on about being one of them. Remeber the OP does say 'hey probably know that working practices can be key to winning cases and will seek the client’s version of the truth on them' which has nothing to do with determination or lack thereof.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      Thinking about it, the client will have better lawyers to defend a claim from HMRC as well.
      HMRC will be operating on the basis of picking the most blatant sure-win examples and asking for x,000 others to be added when they win that test case.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Why when they know there is a treasure trove there. There will be three main scenarios will there not?

Option A) Outside to outside - HMRC may come looking to check.. but that means time and effort and no certain outcome
        Option B) Outside to inside - Lovely lovely. Pretty easy slam dunk historic cases. May even pay up with a letter. At em boys....
        Option C) Outside to no determination - Interesting. They've done this purely to avoid the hassle of making a determination. Lets go ask them about working practices. If they are inside then we've got a nice tasty option B. Bit more work but the client says WP are inside.

I don't see why you think HMRC will pick the lowest risk vs return option when there are two sitting ducks there. The 'no determination' you keep banging on about being one of them. Remeber the OP does say 'hey probably know that working practices can be key to winning cases and will seek the client’s version of the truth on them' which has nothing to do with determination or lack thereof.
        Option B

Totally get where you are coming from, but just because a client has determined(usually blanketed) a role as being inside when previously the PSC has determined it as being outside does not mean a sure fire HMRC victory.

Take a scenario where a large company has blanketed an invidual as Inside and he stays there swapping to Brolly. The contractor fights the HMRC case and wins. Now suddenly, HMRC has a issue, the other contractors may challenge the company, the company may change their determinations based on the Judges ruling etc.

I actually believe that HMRC are true to their word on this one. They don’t have to “scare” PSC’s anymore, they can scare companies instead. All the contractors will start paying PAYE and then HMRC wins.

I heard from an individual on this forum via PM, and he knew an ex-IR35 tax inspector who said exactly this. They had been directed to go after companies and not PSC’s.

Look..I know people will be dubious, and make up their own minds, but contracts are hard to come by and if you are outside going to inside, each indidual needs to assess the risks themselves vs the current job market.

Purely making the alternative argument that supports this article.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
          Option B

Totally get where you are coming from, but just because a client has determined(usually blanketed) a role as being inside when previously the PSC has determined it as being outside does not mean a sure fire HMRC victory.
          It's a pretty sweet looking setup that warrants a dam good reaming though. We've said many times this will be low hanging fruit for HMRC. Quick call to the client who confirms WP's are inside and it's a done deal. It's as close as it gets.

Take a scenario where a large company has blanketed an invidual as Inside and he stays there swapping to Brolly. The contractor fights the HMRC case and wins. Now suddenly, HMRC has a issue, the other contractors may challenge the company, the company may change their determinations based on the Judges ruling etc.
          That's a very best case scenario and a very big IF they win... and even if the contractor does win they've been through an awful process that members on here have said take years and is soul draining so not much of a win.

And we know a vast number of contractors are clearly inside so that scenario still doesn't give any hope for many.
          I actually believe that HMRC are true to their word on this one. They don’t have to “scare” PSC’s anymore, they can scare companies instead. All the contractors will start paying PAYE and then HMRC wins.

I heard from an individual on this forum via PM, and he knew an ex-IR35 tax inspector who said exactly this. They had been directed to go after companies and not PSC’s.

Look..I know people will be dubious, and make up their own minds, but contracts are hard to come by and if you are outside going to inside, each indidual needs to assess the risks themselves vs the current job market.

Interesting. Problem is most people don't know, understand or want to accept the risk. Look at the guy we had on the other day outside to inside with 3 plus years behind him and another 18 months to go or something. Do you think he will come back to the forum if he's caught and say, yeah I knew the risk, I got caught, fair dincum?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            That's a very best case scenario and a very big IF they win... and even if the contractor does win they've been through an awful process that members on here have said take years and is soul draining so not much of a win.
            I actually don't think that there would be actual court cases - my expectations has always been that HMRC will pick a set of easy clients and just shake the tree and see (as with GSK) who pays up.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post

This pretty much sums up my thinking that started this side discussion. Yes, if HMRC come calling then it could cause all sorts of misery for contractors, but I suspect they'll draw a line before April 2021 and only go after those clients that are still classifying some contracts as outside post April 2021.

Of course, if HMRC then identifies (and wins over) companies that they deem have mis-determined contractors as outside after April 2021, and those contractors have self-determined outside for years before, then there is a sitting duck there...

But, as has been suggested, individuals have to make up their own minds based on their level of risk aversion.

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                This pretty much sums up my thinking that started this side discussion. Yes, if HMRC come calling then it could cause all sorts of misery for contractors, but I suspect they'll draw a line before April 2021 and only go after those clients that are still classifying some contracts as outside post April 2021.
                HMRC have very good forum for introducing retrospective action and they've a massive black hole in their finances to fill. Why do you think they will throw away a perfect chance to get back the money they believe they are owed? They chased GSK in the middle of all this going on? Using your argument why didn't they leave them alone until the legislation hit and then let that drive GSK to blanket determinations?

You could be right, particularly in the short term but to think that HMRC won't come after people is a tad naïve given their history.

It would be nice if it's true... I'm just having a hard time believing it.

Of course, if HMRC then identifies (and wins over) companies that they deem have mis-determined contractors as outside after April 2021, and those contractors have self-determined outside for years before, then there is a sitting duck there...
                True but why do you think there is a sitting duck if you believe they won't go after contractors when the client has told HMRC they've been incorrectly determining for years?
                But, as has been suggested, individuals have to make up their own minds based on their level of risk aversion.
                That's the bottom line but we've seen in the past, and will see again around April that this isn't/won't be the case.

Comment

Working...
                X