• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked to pay for IR35 Assesment

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by daydream View Post
    I have quite happily taken on the responsibility and liability until now. Hence having the insurance in place. Seems strange having both the responsibility and liability taken away, but still expected to pay, and for something that I have already paid for, indirectly.

Also the six monthly recheck seems like a license for someone to print money. Currently I only get the contract reviewed if there are substantial changes, (normally a new client).
    I actually would be interested in QDOS's viewpoint on this - I cannot see them being happy being paid by an interested (and biased) party that isn't the one directly responsible for the determination or the consequences of that determination.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      I actually would be interested in QDOS's viewpoint on this - I cannot see them being happy being paid by an interested (and biased) party that isn't the one directly responsible for the determination or the consequences of that determination.
      The IR35 Contract Assessments we have offered and continue to offer free to policyholders and the paid-for services we provide are separate from the off-payroll assessments we make on behalf of clients. Whilst the basis of making the assessments remains the same in terms of case law and so on, the off-payroll assessments require an extra level of management and involvement from the client in the process. The client has the responsibility for verifying the accuracy of any assessment and ultimately making the determination, but a rounded and inclusive basis for the decision is important.

We feel it is vital to include the contractor in the process to enable us to cover all nuances and factors that are specific to each PSC, however the ultimate responsibility still lies with the client.

When it comes to the payment of those assessments - we found that allowing the client to require the fees paid by the contractor encouraged more (particularly those on the fence with PSC bans) to take a fair and compliant approach to their assessments as opposed to using the likes of CEST or banning contractors altogether. However this is entirely a commercial or policy decision on the part of the client. In some cases these fees will be borne by the contractor and in others it is borne by the client or even the fee-payer. There is no bearing on status for who pays the fee however.

We do appreciate that for some, particularly those who have used our services directly in the past, this will feel like doubling up - but it is important to remember that we are dealing with two different sets of rules and responsibilities here at the same time.
      Qdos Contractor - IR35 experts

Comment

Originally posted by Qdos Contractor View Post
        The IR35 Contract Assessments we have offered and continue to offer free to policyholders and the paid-for services we provide are separate from the off-payroll assessments we make on behalf of clients. Whilst the basis of making the assessments remains the same in terms of case law and so on, the off-payroll assessments require an extra level of management and involvement from the client in the process. The client has the responsibility for verifying the accuracy of any assessment and ultimately making the determination, but a rounded and inclusive basis for the decision is important.

We feel it is vital to include the contractor in the process to enable us to cover all nuances and factors that are specific to each PSC, however the ultimate responsibility still lies with the client.

When it comes to the payment of those assessments - we found that allowing the client to require the fees paid by the contractor encouraged more (particularly those on the fence with PSC bans) to take a fair and compliant approach to their assessments as opposed to using the likes of CEST or banning contractors altogether. However this is entirely a commercial or policy decision on the part of the client. In some cases these fees will be borne by the contractor and in others it is borne by the client or even the fee-payer. There is no bearing on status for who pays the fee however.

We do appreciate that for some, particularly those who have used our services directly in the past, this will feel like doubling up - but it is important to remember that we are dealing with two different sets of rules and responsibilities here at the same time.
        I can see the value in the client or the fee-payer / agency paying the fee - they are the people responsible for the decision and I can see valid reasons for a client to pass it down to the fee payer levels as they are the intermediaries closest to the decision. That logic would very much fit into the typical end client approach of I have £x,000 budget for this project all costs are borne by the agency.

But passing the request down to the contractor him/herself just feels wrong - after all when he/she makes the decision to pay the bill for the assessment who is making the decision - is it the contractor as the director of the PSC that would be used if the contract is outside or the contractor himself (which it would be if the contract is inside and the money is deducted from his first wage packet).

Until now that decision wasn't an issue because it was always the PSC paying for the check to protect itself from a claim but I can see an issue come April. What justification would a PSC have to pay for that compliance check and how can you bill someone when you don't know if the person paying for the check will be the PSC (assuming it's outside IR35) or the contractor (were it inside).

Would you care to comment as to me that looks like a problem requiring either a payment from the worker either before the work commences (problem in law) or a deduction from the first pay pocket (which means two key information document from the umbrella company or a risk of illegal deductions).
        Last edited by eek; 10 December 2020, 17:08.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
        X