• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Key Personnel clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IR35 - Key Personnel clause

Hi All,

I am an IT contractor with my own limited company (PSC).
    The contract with an EU client, has the below clauses:

"
    The Contractor shall ensure that those Personnel listed in a Service Schedule as “Key Personnel”
    shall be engaged solely on Services for the agreed periods of time as set out in the Service
    Schedule.

No Key Personnel may be removed from the Services without the prior written agreement of
    the agency except for cases of illness, resignation or force majeure leave. In the event that agency
    does agree to the removal of Key Personnel, the Contractor shall use its best endeavours to
    ensure that such Key Personnel are replaced by persons of similar experience, qualification and
    competence without delay. Should the agency be dissatisfied for any reason with the replacement
    personnel it may terminate the relevant Service Agreement forthwith pursuant to clause 2.
    The Contractor must seek the prior consent of the client before any Key Personnel take planned
    absences during a Term, and must notify their designated contact in the agency.
    "

They have entered my name as the key person. Does this place my contract inside IR35? If yes, then please advise me how to keep it outside IR35.

Thanks,
    Abd

That Personnel clause has nothing to do with IR35.

It may have a slight impact on substitution (which would be an issue if that was the only basis of you being outside IR35) but I doubt it.

What does the company you employed to check the contract say (you did get someone like QDOS to review the contract).
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

A Key Personnel clause is extremely common in a B2B contract and does not, in itself, imply personal service. However, you will need to get the contract and working practices reviewed in the round.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        A Key Personnel clause is extremely common in a B2B contract and does not, in itself, imply personal service. However, you will need to get the contract and working practices reviewed in the round.
        Thanks for replies.
        Can you please advise about the below clause in the contract? Do we need to amend the below?

"This contract shall only become valid and executed following written approval that the background
        /screening checks undertaken by our nominated partner for all Key Personnel who will carry out
        work under this agreement have been successful and are acceptable to the client, in this case
        ABC Limited. The Agency will be under no obligation to offer any alternative work or any
        compensation whatsoever to the Contractor or any Key Personnel should the result of the checks
        be unsatisfactory or incomplete resulting in the key personnel of the Contractor being unable to
        commence work on the client site."

Comment

Originally posted by techforumxyz View Post
          Thanks for replies.
          Can you please advise about the below clause in the contract? Do we need to amend the below?

"This contract shall only become valid and executed following written approval that the background
          /screening checks undertaken by our nominated partner for all Key Personnel who will carry out
          work under this agreement have been successful and are acceptable to the client, in this case
          ABC Limited. The Agency will be under no obligation to offer any alternative work or any
          compensation whatsoever to the Contractor or any Key Personnel should the result of the checks
          be unsatisfactory or incomplete resulting in the key personnel of the Contractor being unable to
          commence work on the client site."
          Get a lawyer to look at it, not some random people on the internet.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

From an IR35 POV? No, I don’t see any issues there since screening will apply equally to anyone working on the client site, i.e., it is neutral w/r to IR35.

However, you really should follow my earlier advice and get the contract and WP professionally reviewed, both for IR35 and commercial terms. Having individual clauses reviewed by random people on t’interweb really is next to useless.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              From an IR35 POV? No, I don’t see any issues there since screening will apply equally to anyone working on the client site, i.e., it is neutral w/r to IR35.

However, you really should follow my earlier advice and get the contract and WP professionally reviewed, both for IR35 and commercial terms. Having individual clauses reviewed by random people on t’interweb really is next to useless.
              And get a much better grasp of the basics so you can at least begin to understand where it applies and where it doesn't
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by techforumxyz View Post
                Hi All,

No Key Personnel may be removed from the Services without the prior written agreement of
                the agency except for cases of illness, resignation or force majeure leave. In the event that agency
                does agree to the removal of Key Personnel, the Contractor shall use its best endeavours to
                ensure that such Key Personnel are replaced by persons of similar experience, qualification and
                competence without delay. Should the agency be dissatisfied for any reason with the replacement
                personnel it may terminate the relevant Service Agreement forthwith pursuant to clause 2.
                The Contractor must seek the prior consent of the client before any Key Personnel take planned
                absences during a Term
                , and must notify their designated contact in the agency.
                "
                This bit in partcular smacks of Direction & Control to me - on a previous contract which I had reviewed by Qdos at the time I had something similar which I pushed back on the agency to get changed to something along the lines of "as a professional courtesy will inform the client as early as practical of any periods where key staff may be unavailable" rather than basically agreeing that I had to have someone agree my holiday/absence days as if I'd been an employee...

Like others I suggest you get the contract reviewed professionally and/or get IR35 insurance (which often comes with review(s) thrown in anyway).

HTH
                Last edited by CatOnMat; 25 January 2021, 12:22. Reason: typo

Comment

Originally posted by CatOnMat View Post
                  This bit in partcular smacks of Direction & Control to me - on a previous contract which I had reviewed by Qdos at the time I had something similar which I pushed back on the agency to get changed to something along the lines of "as a professional courtesy will inform the client as early as practical of any periods where key staff may be unavailable" rather than basically agreeing that I had to have someone agree my holiday/absence days as if I'd been an employee...

Like others I suggest you get the contract reviewed professionally and/or get IR35 insurance (which often comes with review(s) thrown in anyway).

HTH
                  I'm not so sure. It states the contractor I. E. The business. I think you are getting the term contractor wrong an you are thinking you as a person are a contractor. This is one level up that the Ltd must speak to the client before abscence, not the named individual.

Now if the key personnel had to ask permission then there could be a problem but it doesn't say that. IR35 applies to the person not the business.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's pretty standard for a Key Personnel clause in my experience. The whole point of these clauses is that they don't want Key Personnel being ditched or replaced or taking long leaves of absence halfway through a project because it's disruptive to their business. However, it will definitely need to be reviewed by a professional alongside the rest of the contract. Note that my confident assertion is about the follow-up question on screening/background checks, which is neutral from an IR35 POV, not about the clause overall, which needs to be reviewed alongside the other terms.

Comment

Working...
                    X