• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you touch type?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Poll added. No AndyW option as this isn't General.

I can touch type on both UK and German keyboards. I just kind of picked it up - no formal lessons or anything.
    I was on holiday in Paris a few years ago and had to send an email from the hotel internet cafe. Took me ages to compose using a German keyboard.

I've been using keyboards for 30-odd years and always meant to learn to touch type but still battering it out with two fingers and looking at the keyboard

Comment

Yes I can, no idea how I picked it up, I just did!
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by Batcher View Post
        I was on holiday in Paris a few years ago and had to send an email from the hotel internet cafe. Took me ages to compose using a German keyboard.

I've been using keyboards for 30-odd years and always meant to learn to touch type but still battering it out with two fingers and looking at the keyboard
        Not sure how many fingers I was using in non-touch mode. Definitely more than 2, maybe 6. I am still faster like that, for the time being.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
          fr4ffr4f.

Yes, learned from a book, typing on a Tatung Einstein, back in the mid 80s.

Which was handy when typing on a PC with a different keyboard layout.

Most odd when using a MAC kb, which has those little knobbly marker things on the middle finger keys, not the first finger keys.
          Wonder how much time I have spent looking at the keyboard vs. someone who learned TT in the 80s. Dragon 32 FTW.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            I bit the bullet because constantly looking at the keyboard is mentally tiring. TT seems to make your work flow better. Definitely a boon for emails. I am trying to use it on the unix command line too.
            Touch type on the command line isn't as important as tab expand, or searching through your command history.

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
              Touch type on the command line isn't as important as tab expand, or searching through your command history.
              It is also (great avatar BTW) a pain due to all the special characters.

I could type faster than the Dragon 32 could cope with.
              Are you talking about an emulator? I typed like a storm on that nice (for the time/price) keyboard. Don't recall any missed characters. In the MESS emulator it is a different story - missed characters everywhere.

Did you have a TATUNG PIPE

Comment

Yes. Of course ... sometimes. Er - No..

Well sometimes I can. I hate it when I've been typing for ages then look up and found it's in the middle of a totally different paragraph!

Wifey is an audio and touch typist - learned at school in the early 80s. She can be holding 2 conversations with me and the kids, working out what to have for dinner AND type fast without dropping a letter. It's SO humiliating. She also does it do show off. Especially when I try to put her off by tickling her neck. Still says the DOS version of WordPerfect was the best WP she's ever used.

Comment

Working...
                X