• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting paid to do literally nothing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Getting paid to do literally nothing

Unreal.... I am now on my 4th successive contract where I am literally doing nothing. Do these companies not realise they are paying a premium rate for me? Surely they want to get the most out of me no?

I can't be the only one out there surely?

Perhaps they're adopting the only sane and safe way to outsource - pay the provider but do the work yourself. It's cheaper in the long run.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Whilst it's easy to just say "smile and invoice", it does get tedious after a while.

If you're able to work from home a few days a week then see if you can line up something else to keep your brain matter ticking over. I invested in a mouse jiggler for my client's laptop so my online presence is always on and then get on with other stuff when there's a lull.

Comment

Originally posted by robz8701 View Post
        Unreal.... I am now on my 4th successive contract where I am literally doing nothing. Do these companies not realise they are paying a premium rate for me? Surely they want to get the most out of me no?

I can't be the only one out there surely?
        Well minimum wage is hardly going to break the bank, is it
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Personally I can't do this - if the work dries up with no visibility of what's coming up, I hand in my notice. Aside from being instantly caught by IR35 for that particular engagement, I've got fairly strict morals around charging people for things I'm not doing. I've also got too many other things to be getting on with where that time can be used more productively.

I've had a few clients where this has happened and they've insisted I keep turning up to the office and / or invoicing - even after in-depth discussions with line and upper management. Sometimes line management have no control over the financial aspects - and don't expect many contractors to be content with a few days here and there until they're back in full project flow.

Another issue is clients not wanting to lose your skills - they think that by virtue of being at home and not invoicing, you'll hop off to the next contract. That's sometimes true, but there are contractors out there that like having multiple clients / projects and don't mind invoicing on a more ad-hoc basis.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Whilst it's easy to just say "smile and invoice", it does get tedious after a while.

If you're able to work from home a few days a week then see if you can line up something else to keep your brain matter ticking over. I invested in a mouse jiggler for my client's laptop so my online presence is always on and then get on with other stuff when there's a lull.
            Useful cheers

Comment

Had a few friends this happen to, enjoy while it lasts.

Comment

I've had quiet periods (perhaps 10% of the time) in all my contracts but never at 4 contracts in a row.

some questions:

- if you're not working what are you doing? surfing the net?
                - if your boss asks what you're working on what do you say? surfing the net?
                - do you get bored surfing the net?
                Last edited by hungry_hog; 18 April 2019, 15:48.

Comment

Originally posted by hungry_hog View Post

- if you're not working what are you doing?
                  Probably a different gig by now, since this thread is over a year old.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I tghought you filled your time organizing CUK meet ups?

Comment

Working...
                    X