• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

CVs, PDFs and References

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought, or was led to understand, that many CV's have to be presented by agencies with no details of sex/name/age on them these days because of the data protection shenanigans?

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
      I thought, or was led to understand, that many CV's have to be presented by agencies with no details of sex/name/age on them these days because of the data protection shenanigans?
      They remove contact details to reduce the risk of the client contacting you directly. It has little to no bearing on GDPR, as by virtue of applying for a job, we give consent for an agent / client to contact us about the job.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
        The often remove age and sex to avoid discrimination....

But they will leave in the names so people can ensure they get the right 'quota' of foreign sounding people.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

But they will leave in the names so people can ensure they get the right 'quota' of foreign sounding people.
          They'll leave the names in so that clients can ask for someone by name. It's not about your imaginary quotas or real xenophobia.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

I've seen names being left on CVs. I am British-born, but have a Hungarian surname, so maybe I've been a diversity hire in the past

Leaving names on a CV leaves savvy clients open to contacting contractors directly via LinkedIn / a Google search. I have never seen this, though - and tbh, I would probably think less of a client that did it - plus its against most contract terms / agreements.

Comment

There's a story of a prospective AirBnb employee who really wanted to work with the company, got interviews but no further so they made an online resume with a focus on how they'd help the company grow rather than their past achievements, got in the news in the Independent here, if you make a one-page online resume, not just a resume but also a sales page for yourself almost how you can help people get from X to Y, can really help stand out from the crowd. Also tried psychometric tests, free ones like these it's general reasoning skills but when you get a curve ball interview question thought they might help, peace.
              Last edited by truffy; 8 April 2019, 17:55.

Comment

Working...
              X