• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Analogy fun

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Analogy fun

This post got me thinking about analogies so what's the best / worst analogy you've heard or used?

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
    You've seen those machines that come along grab a tree trunk and rattle the fruit off a tree. They get 95% of the fruit then move on. They are still much more efficient than employing lots of people hand-picking 100% of the fruit.

Lesson, don't get rattled..stick around. Even if they think you are juicy, do they really want to climb that tree for a piece of cheap fruit, when you still might not be ripe for the taking
    I am also reminded of this classic Buffy quote:

Originally posted by Buffy The Vampire Slayer S7E22
    I’m cookie dough. I’m not done baking. I’m not finished becoming whoever the hell it is I’m gonna turn out to be. I make it through this, and the next thing, and the next thing, and maybe one day, I turn around and realize I’m ready. I’m cookies. And then, you know, if I want someone to eat — or enjoy warm, delicious, cookie me, then that’s fine. That’ll be then. When I’m done.
    My most recent offering occurred just yesterday. I was talking to my project BA about a recent supplier trip she'd been and how she told them, don't give the business what they don't want. I said,

"The business want oranges, just like the ones they currently have. They will happily take bigger, juicier oranges but don't give them tiny shrivelled up ones or chuck a few bananas in the bag"

She rightly looked at me like I was mad and then decided the safest course was to agree and move the conversation along

ha..thanks ladymuck..god knows where that came from...just made the crap up on the spot.

Waiting to get shot down now.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
      ha..thanks ladymuck..god knows where that came from...just made the crap up on the spot.

Waiting to get shot down now.
      I actually thought it was quite good! HMRC do a shake down and if you've got the guts to cling on, you won't join their pile of pickings

Comment

Life is like a grapefruit. Sour and bitter, and you have to spit out the pits.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Life is like a pubic hair on a toilet seat.

Sometimes you get p1ssed off.

Comment

<sing> Life's a piece of tulip when you look at it </sing>
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Like, is just a bowl of all-bran
              you wake up every morning an' it's there..................................

Comment

Life is like a constipated mathematician.

...sometimes you have to work it out with a pencil
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

If you want a bad analogy, I cringe when I hear about Agile “Scrums” and “Scrum-masters”

Someone who knew nothing about rugby must have come up with the names.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                    If you want a bad analogy, I cringe when I hear about Agile “Scrums” and “Scrum-masters”

Someone who knew nothing about rugby must have come up with the names.
                    Don't even get me started on Scrum Masters.

20 years of experience means nothing, yet some spotty kid can spend $150 on a qualification and go around with a handbook of analogies and not actually having to do any work or make a decision as they are all "Servant Leaders"

Anyway..here's one..I found..

The Scrum Master is like Nitrous Oxide , while the rest of the Scrum team is the car’s engine. The team will likely “run” as they should without a Scrum Master, but in maximizing the value delivered by the team, the Scrum Master role injects the extra horsepower that the team wouldn’t otherwise have.

To be honest, I'm also a certified Scrum Master..like I said $150 easy

Comment

Working...
                    X