• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afternoon denizens

Quite sunny out today

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Tonight's viewing opened with Shot Through the Heart (TV Movie 1998), set in the siege of Sarajevo. I've seen it before, late one night around the end of the last century, and had been keeping an eye out for it since then. It's quite hard to find these days: I got a DVD of the German version from a company over there (via Amazon) which has the original English soundtrack as an option on its menus. It deserves to be more widely available, because it's a brilliant, upsetting, and deeply moving film. It's disturbing to see how quickly normal life in a civilised, highly developed community can degenerate into siege warfare, which is what happened less than 24 hours drive away from where I live, according to Google Maps

To follow: V for Vendetta (2005), which is kind of the opposite extreme in terms of the political situation portrayed. I once recorded this when it was on the telly, a few years ago now, but I wasn't in the mood for it and turned it off after the first few minutes. I seem to have been in the mood for it this time, because I thought it was absolutely bloody phenomenal

Goodnight all
      Indeed V for Vendetta is one of my favourites. Very much George Orwell meets the Shadow and nicely thought provoking.

I will keep an eye out for the other. oh its on Youtube! Will give it a bash sometime.

If you haven't seen it I enjoyed the original of Lord of the Flies when I was a kid.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        I will keep an eye out for the other. oh its on Youtube! Will give it a bash sometime.
        Short interview with the guy on whose story Shot Through the Heart is based: The Human Cost Of War - tribunedigital-chicagotribune

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        If you haven't seen it I enjoyed the original of Lord of the Flies when I was a kid.
        I hated the book when I was a kid, so never watched the film. I'll have to give it a go sometime.

Comment

Won nowt on the National. Ho hum

Comment

I hated the book when I was a kid, so never watched the film. I'll have to give it a go sometime.
            I loathed both.

It was a set book, but even if it hadn't been I suspect I'd still have loathed it.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

New people in the village decided to fly a drone over our garden twice today. After the first flypast, I posted on the local facebook group pointing out the illegality of it - they stopped over our garden and hovered for a while, before moving on to another garden. I said that it was possible that it might get pinged with an air rifle.
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                New people in the village decided to fly a drone over our garden twice today. After the first flypast, I posted on the local facebook group pointing out the illegality of it - they stopped over our garden and hovered for a while, before moving on to another garden. I said that it was possible that it might get pinged with an air rifle.
                Time to try out your new 'scope then eh ?

I took one out last year with a barnett black widow

Comment

Won nowt on the National. Ho hum
                  Won a few quid with Pleasant Company.

Comment

Thames Lido this afternoon/evening - birthday pressie from the girlies.

Was very nice - they've done up the old decrepit Lido and made it into a nice restaurant and spa.

Restaurant was really excellent - scallops, venison and rhubarb crumble. Really delicious. Bit weird to have a restaurant where some people are coming out to dinner and others wandering round in blue bath robes, but there we are. Food was good. Recommended.

Wasn't entirely convinced by my first ever massage - spent most of the hour trying not to fart. Was pleasant enough though.

Comment

Off to the pub tonight, so no Chinese - had a quick bowl of lamb hotpot instead, and whacked the rest in the freezer

Comment

Working...
                      X