test please delete test please delete - Page 30577

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    Morning denizens

A bit cloudy out, and cooler - still only 17°C outside

Though there's still too much heat trapped in here, but at least it's a bit more tolerable now
    You really need those windows to open again.

Nothing like stating the obvious of course.

I was vastly amused to find myself dreaming of snow early on Tuesday morning.

Mostly because the bedroom window was open & the temperature was below 24 dec C.

I still can't understand how the laundry room got itself up to 34.6 deg C yesterday when it was fairly cloudy & overcast all day.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11th July 2018 at 11:32.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

My post count is Majestic

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    You really need those windows to open again.

Nothing like stating the obvious of course.
    It would help

It's around this time every summer that I start considering various harebrained plans for getting up the front of the house and cutting the paint around the sashes, before concluding that there's a number of very good reasons they went to the trouble of putting scaffolding up from which to do the painting in the first place, mainly related to the avoidance of broken necks

I've even thought of removing the inner beading and working them loose from in here, but as each individual sliding bit is about five feet high I'd be bound to end up damaging something - probably myself - irreparably

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    It would help

It's around this time every summer that I start considering various harebrained plans for getting up the front of the house and cutting the paint around the sashes, before concluding that there's a number of very good reasons they went to the trouble of putting scaffolding up from which to do the painting in the first place, mainly related to the avoidance of broken necks

I've even thought of removing the inner beading and working them loose from in here, but as each individual sliding bit is about five feet high I'd be bound to end up damaging something - probably myself - irreparably
    Faint memories of how difficult sash windows are to work on remind me that sometimes it's best left to people who know, vaguely, wtf they're doing.

Especially if it's as far up in the air as your windows appear to be.

The drain work in the doctor's back yard continues.

Yesterday, drain covers were lifted, and a small trench dug in concrete to a point adjacent to an outhouse at the rear of the building.

Today, the two blokes are occasionally moving back and forth to their van, not obviously carrying anything and walking very slowly, or standing looking down at things and having long but not particularly animated discussions about them.

There's very little, if any, sound or motion indicative of actual work being performed

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Faint memories of how difficult sash windows are to work on remind me that sometimes it's best left to people who know, vaguely, wtf they're doing.

Especially if it's as far up in the air as your windows appear to be.
    Indeed. Not my abode, but part of the same terrace further up where it isn't concealed by trees:

At a guess, the bottom of my (first floor) windows must be about fifteen feet off the ground, so I don't think standing on a stepladder is going to cut it

At the dentist

And back from the dentist, early for a change - he's previously turned fifteen minutes into an hour, and forty-five into seventy-five, but this time brought sixty down to forty. But only because he suspects there may be a bigger problem than anticipated, wants a second opinion before proceeding, and the older and more experienced chap had already left for the day

Still, no anaesthetic, so I can have dinner without the risk of chewing the inside of my cheek off

Shopping done. Lovely and peaceful, it was - almost no human contact at all

I filled the car up too, as the Sainsbury's petrol station was almost deserted - four cars for thirty pumps. This didn't stop one bloke from then pulling up to a pump on the opposite side to his filler cap and awkwardly stretching the hose round the back of his car

Chicken jalfrezi out of the freezer for tea, with the usual bits. Very tasty

Tea was boiled lamb & carrots & onions.

It was much betterer than last week's, mostly because I managed not to turn the cornflour into obnoxious gelatinous blobs this time.

Sweet, in an attempt to use more milk, was stewed green gooseberries with custard.

This was very nice too.

Currently watching some ridiculous ancient aliens bollocks on "Blaze".

This lot reckon that humans have been genetically engineered by ancient aliens.

Apparently this explains Goliath.

Other than that, the generic weeping, wailing and gnashing of teeth appears to be ongoing.

Aha! Eric von Daniken has just popped up.

Aha!

They've just asked if aliens might be living amongst us.

That should irritate any Giant Alien Lizards who might be listening.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 11th July 2018 at 21:01.