• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    An unpleasantly warm stagger home.

The Class 175 from Swansea sort of illustrated quite why ladies seem to enjoy sitting on the spin drier.

Dunno what was wrong with the engine but it was vibrating like a good 'un.

Just been delving into the freezer in search of some bread.

Found some that must have been in there several years, but it's for soup so not really a problem.

Tea shall be lentil <pffffft> soup.

Followed by custard, icecream, and lo! yet more stewed blackberries.

Stone me.

It's <click> time again.

I'm beginning to think that the Beeb doesn't employ anyone who's straight any more.

Plus it's hot.

I'm hot, thermally speaking.

But on the positive side it's clouding over.

And this evening's blackberries are astewing.

Yum.

This evening's tv will, with any luck, be last night's ep of "Carter", the Canadian rip off of "Castle" which is mildly amusing and infinitely more enjoyable than "Low Winter Sun".
    Baking in sarf herts 37 deg C
    toasted camembert and bacon sarnie, with cranberry sauce.
    rather nice IMMHO

Comment

Apparently the temperature here has plummeted to a chilly 30°C

Just finished reading The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: Churchill's Mavericks: Plotting Hitler's Defeat.

Suppose I ought to start thinking about dinner.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Apparently the temperature here has plummeted to a chilly 30°C

Just finished reading The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare: Churchill's Mavericks: Plotting Hitler's Defeat.

Suppose I ought to start thinking about dinner.
        Raiders of the lost freezer, part 27???

Comment

The inside of the microwave looked like a bloodbath again after the stewing of the blackberries.

I can never get the timing right.

A cold shower cooled me down nicely.

Yesterday's "Carter" was ok in its way.

Lusting after Sydney Poitier is bad for my blood pressure though.

Low Winter Sun ep 9 is recording.

Which means ep 10 is held over until next week.
          When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Southern fried chicken bits (not actually fried) out of the freezer for tea, with chips

Comment

The nights are definitely drawing in.

Back in the day when I worked for 3M, I knew summer was on the wane when it was dark outside for the 8pm tea break.

That really does seem like a very long time ago.

Mostly because it's actually 40 years ago.

On a day like today, with the temperature in the high 20s outside, you'd take a jumper in with you to wear in the tape testing room because the aircon was so fierce.

The contrast with the air in the aluminium walkway "tunnel" connecting the lower plant to the upper plant was marked.

In 1976, the last time it was warm, the air at the top of the tunnel at change of shift at 2pm reached a remarkable 120 deg F and you could feel the skin on your face drying out as you walked through it.

They installed a velox type window in the roof to let the heat out ready for the next heatwave.

Which we've waited a mere 42 years to experience.

During which time the warehouse has closed and the mag tape plant has closed, so the tunnel is redundant.

I still have curious dreams about the place.

It's quite disturbing.

Mostly cos they seem to involve a lot of flying.

Of the "throw yourself at the floor & miss" sort of thing.

Or alternatively I've got a new job there that I can't cope with for some reason or another.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.66...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The tunnel is the linear feature going right to left horizontally across the map between the right hand building (top plant, masking tape et al) and the mag tape plant in the middle building.

It used to go all the way to the warehouse which is the left hand building.

It's not obvious but the whole site is on a slope so the tunnel is quite steep.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 26 July 2018, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                The nights are definitely drawing in.

Back in the day when I worked for 3M, I knew summer was on the wane when it was dark outside for the 8pm tea break.

That really does seem like a very long time ago.

Mostly because it's actually 40 years ago.

On a day like today, with the temperature in the high 20s outside, you'd take a jumper in with you to wear in the tape testing room because the aircon was so fierce.

The contrast with the air in the aluminium walkway "tunnel" connecting the lower plant to the upper plant was marked.

In 1976, the last time it was warm, the air at the top of the tunnel at change of shift at 2pm reached a remarkable 120 deg F and you could feel the skin on your face drying out as you walked through it.

They installed a velox type window in the roof to let the heat out ready for the next heatwave.

Which we've waited a mere 42 years to experience.

During which time the warehouse has closed and the mag tape plant has closed, so the tunnel is redundant.

I still have curious dreams about the place.

It's quite disturbing.

Mostly cos they seem to involve a lot of flying.

Of the "throw yourself at the floor & miss" sort of thing.

Or alternatively I've got a new job there that I can't cope with for some reason or another.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.66...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

The tunnel is the linear feature going right to left horizontally across the map between the right hand building (top plant, masking tape et al) and the mag tape plant in the middle building.

It used to go all the way to the warehouse which is the left hand building.

It's not obvious but the whole site is on a slope so the tunnel is quite steep.
                Noticeably darker now than it was this time last week.

I just went out to trundle forth the recycling bin. There's a breeze, but it's actually hot - hotter than the air feels in areas sheltered from it. Didn't even realise such a thing was possible

The living room is currently at 31°C

Comment

TFBSZ
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

There was rain!

It only lasted a couple of minutes, though, so the only results that it's now humid as well as hot

Tonight's film was The 51st State (2001), in which Samuel L. Jackson goes to Liverpool, along with Meat Loaf, Emily Mortimer, Robert Carlisle, and a fair chunk of the cast of Brookside - though they were probably already there. Quite amusing, with some decent action bits, and lots of good Liverpool locations both in the city centre and out along the dock road

Early night, as I have to go into town for my private hearing test stuff in the morning

Goodnight all

Comment

Grey.

With gentle precipitation.

Temperature in laundry room: 18.6 deg C.

Temperature in living room: 20.6 deg C.

Comment

Working...
                      X