• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    I think that's the right decision. If you do get cornered by the boring sod, just turn off the hearing aid an order another pint.
    Or let him buy you a pint, and then suddenly see someone you really Must speak to at the other side of the room, and sod off.

Comment

I think that's the right decision. If you do get cornered by the boring sod, just turn off the hearing aid an order another pint.
      Originally posted by BR14 View Post
      Or let him buy you a pint, and then suddenly see someone you really Must speak to at the other side of the room, and sod off.
      Turned out OK in the end: the pub was a Craft Beer Co. place so the ale was acceptable, and I had some good conversations

Returning to the hotel, I decided to pop down to the restaurant to get some dinner, rather than going to the chippy round the corner.

It's the second time I've been down to that restaurant of an evening, and I strongly suspect they don't get many customers; maybe a few for the bar, but there's a good pub just next door and loads more just a minute or two away, so a basement Premier Inn bar isn't exactly the best local choice for a drink. Last time, I went early evening and was the only person dining; this time, there was a table of four just finishing but once they were gone, I was alone again.

Also, what kind of restaurant can't rustle up a ribeye steak, as listed on the menu, at 9PM on a Saturday night during which they've probably only had four customers?

And if I've asked for a ribeye steak and you've interrupted me right there to consult with the "chef" and returned with the verdict "ribeye's orf", don't then suggest I might fancy a burger instead. If I fancied a burger, I wouldn't ask for the most expensive steak on the rather limited menu

Anyway, I finally settled for a gammon steak with pineapple and fried egg and chips, as they were willing to make that

As I was leaving, I saw a small group sat in the bar area who clearly weren't the kind of people who'd check Google Maps before hitting the -1 button in the hotel lift.

Comment

Why isn't NCIS[optional subcategory prefixed with a colon] on the telly? It's always on the telly when I'm in a hotel

Making do with Law and Order: Criminal Intent instead

Comment

These hearing aids nestle deep within the ear so the only way to turn them off is to take them out and open the battery compartment, which is a fairly obvious manoeuvre

Though as I said to the audiologist, I've adapted well to the various noises in my life but have had almost no experience of talking to people face-to-face since I got them; one of the perils of being on the bench and living alone. The longest non-phone conversation I've had since getting them has been with the woman in the Chinese last Saturday

But I was able to converse in the rather noisy pub, and also in the slightly quieter area where we moved outside, and could hear people I would have struggled to hear before.

I think the remaining difficulty I have isn't to do with struggling to hear, but with being out of practice at following conversations in noisy environments - I hear what's said perfectly well, but my brain says "Nah, you won't have caught that" and throws it away rather than forwarding it for comprehension

This also ties in with the way I've started asking people to repeat things, then realising I heard what they said and replying to it as they start to do so, which is hugely annoying to both parties

The audiologist actually said "You should go down the pub and talk to people there" so I think I'll treat that as medical advice and do as I'm told next week

Comment

Now on to Law & Order: SVU. The credits always make me wonder if Ice T feels like a bit of a dick still using that name at his age, but unable to do anything about it as his real name is a pub quiz answer

Comment

NCIS was on lots of channels here, with and without a colon.

The nutjob Oak Island thing is on at the moment, seeing as it's Saturday.

This week they're using sidescan sonar rather than dropping things down a fecking deep hole they've drilled.

This evening's entertainment, following on from "Beowulf & the Grendel", has been "MIssion Impossible" and "Mission Impossible II".

Which were entertaining in their way once disbelief is suspended.

That man is going to kill himself if he keeps on doing those stunts for long enough.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117060/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120755/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Tea turned out to be spag bol (extra garlic).

I haven't felt overly wonderful this afternoon, with hints of toothache.

The teeth have become quite sensitive, probably because last week's filling is a bit high.

It'll sort itself out eventually.

In the mean time, the ibuprofen helps a lot.

So does the 4 shots of Gran Marnier.

It must be yonks since I drank any of that, but it did help a lot.

The nutjobs are looking for a wooden wall to the swamp.

They've got a JCB. Or backhoe as the septics term them.

They've found a lump of wood and two triangular rocks.

The suspense is killing me.

In the next ep a nutjob dives down the hole.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8 September 2018, 21:57.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                This evening's entertainment, following on from "Beowulf & the Grendel", has been "MIssion Impossible" and "Mission Impossible II".

Which were entertaining in their way once disbelief is suspended.

That man is going to kill himself if he keeps on doing those stunts for long enough.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117060/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120755/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
                Wait till you see what he gets up to in III, IV and V

He's suspended more often and in more precarious ways than the disbelief is

I'm looking forward to VI becoming available

Comment

Another early hotel breakfast in the morning, then up the M1 and home before the traffic on the Holloway Road has even realised I'm coming through

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning denizens

Grey again here

Though that could be because it's so early - the weather app just says "partly cloudy", though it also insisted everything was fine last night even as I was walking through a light shower

Down to breakfast shortly

Comment

Breakfast had; time to be off home

Comment

Working...
                      X