test please delete test please delete - Page 31067
Page 31067 of 31229 FirstFirst ... 30067305673096731017310573106531066310673106831069310773111731167 ... LastLast
Posts 310,661 to 310,670 of 312290
  1. #310661

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    44,592

    Default

    By emptying various hidden caches and removing stuff like virtual machines I don't need, I've reclaimed a further 130GB or so of space on my MacBook Air

    Some of the vagrant-berkshelf caches apparently dated back to 2014

    So not only were they definitely no longer of any use, they didn't even contain any code that had ever been executed on this machine - they'd come along for the ride when I imported my stuff from the previous MBA

  2. #310662

    TykeLike

    SimonMac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    God's Own Republic Of Yorkshire
    Posts
    22,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    By emptying various hidden caches and removing stuff like virtual machines I don't need, I've reclaimed a further 130GB or so of space on my MacBook Air

    Some of the vagrant-berkshelf caches apparently dated back to 2014

    So not only were they definitely no longer of any use, they didn't even contain any code that had ever been executed on this machine - they'd come along for the ride when I imported my stuff from the previous MBA
    The joys of time machines, I’ve found some really random hidden stuff on my new MacBook Pro from laptops gone by
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

    ― Marcus Aurelius

  3. #310663

    Default

    X7 home.

    It was full

    I had to sit at the back over the engine.

    And nearly brained myself because of the low ceiling height.

    Tea/dinner was M&S battered haddock, an unexpectedly generous piece which might explain the less than generous other pieces.

    It was very nice.

    Uncertain as to what this evening's epic is to be after the imminent shower.

    I shall update following the <intersticely paused hiatus>

    Half pissed now on port. <hic>

    In other news, one of my mates is being made redundant (compulsory).

    And he's at least 10 years younger than me.

    It may be significant that he doesn't sprechen zie Cymraeg unlike those who aren't in the firing line.

    This last is, of course, purely a coincidence.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19th March 2019 at 19:16.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

  4. #310664

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    The joys of time machines, I’ve found some really random hidden stuff on my new MacBook Pro from laptops gone by
    Did that yesterday with the discovery of a directory full of porn on a 256Mb pendrive.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

  5. #310665

    Double Godlike!

    xoggoth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    xoggoth towers
    Posts
    12,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Did that yesterday with the discovery of a directory full of porn on a 256Mb pendrive.
    That's an idea! Must check my old box of 3 1/2 " discs.
    bloggoth

    If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

  6. #310666

    Default

    This evening's first attempt at an epic was "Knocked Up (2007)" with Katherine Heigl.

    Knocked Up (2007) - IMDb

    It lasted 15 seconds.

    The 2nd attempt at an epic was "No Highway in the Sky (1951)" with James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Glynis Johns, Jack Hawkins, et al, inculding Kenneth Moore and Dora Bryan.

    No Highway (1951) - IMDb

    As it transpires it's a copy, and the transfer is pretty dire in places.

    But the story is a fecking sight more impressive than the first piece of tulipe above.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

  7. #310667

    Godlike

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    5,960

    Default

    outside a chinese.
    very nice too
    BBC4's got a thing about internet content moderators on.
    anyone we know?

    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  8. #310668

    Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

    WTFH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    16,290

    Default

    Getting new skis this weekend, and just been contacted by the guy who makes them to say they are ready. He then tells me I owe Glen Plake a thank you for the bindings.
    I ask why. Turns out Glen supplied and fitted them for me.
    (For those of you into skiing and over 40, you’ll know who Glen is.)
    Strong and Stable Moderation

  9. #310669

    My post count is Majestic

    NickFitz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Your local branch
    Posts
    44,592

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    The 2nd attempt at an epic was "No Highway in the Sky (1951)" with James Stewart, Marlene Dietrich, Glynis Johns, Jack Hawkins, et al, inculding Kenneth Moore and Dora Bryan.

    No Highway (1951) - IMDb

    As it transpires it's a copy, and the transfer is pretty dire in places.

    But the story is a fecking sight more impressive than the first piece of tulipe above.
    Based on an excellent novel by Nevil Shute, who was himself an aeronautical engineer, involved in the design of the R100 among many other things

    Speaking of things falling apart, I've just found a bug in Berkshelf, the Chef dependency manager. After the usual swearing (because Berkshelf is BS and always annoys me), I actually dug through the source on GitHub and worked out what was failing; it's due to my adopting an uncommon way of using it, but something I read earlier today confirmed it was legit, so definitely a bug.

    I've decided I'll fix the damn thing and put in a pull request, as it's a widely used tool in certain areas and having an accepted patch for it would brighten up the old CV a bit

  10. #310670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    Based on an excellent novel by Nevil Shute, who was himself an aeronautical engineer, involved in the design of the R100 among many other things
    And very good it was too, particularly the FBI warning at the end.

    The transfer was pretty crap, looked like a rip of a VHS tape, though it might just be a rip of a region 0 dvd.

    The book is somewhat different, with the little girl being very impressed with a sponge for doing the washing up IIRC.

    Lots of British actors doing their thing, too.

    Including Pete Murray, the disc jockey chappie.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 19th March 2019 at 21:55.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •