• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Some petrol" isn't 10 gallons.

I think my mate* has spent about £500 on this to date.

*"My mate", in this case, isn't me since I wouldn't have an oil burner for all the tea in China.

Are we allowed to say "all the tea in China" still or have the snowflakes banned that too?

Just askin' like.

<hiatus>

Lunch is done & dusted, Ginsters Cornish pasty, (very nice), the last third of the Morrisons Lattice pork pie (reduced), very nice, Heinz baked beans on Morrisons Ancient Grain toast, very nice.

Now drinking the two mugs of tea before thinking about what to do with the afternoon.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 17 April 2019, 11:21.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Afternoon denizens

Sunny out, and quite balmy too at 14°C

A chap in a Sky TV shirt has appeared in the back yard with a coil of coax and a set of ladders. I presume this is something to do with the new tenants of the ground floor back, though TBH I thought the dish already out there was hooked up to that flat

Anyway, he'll have a good climb as the back section of the house, though tall, is one floor shorter than the front bit which faces the satellite, so the dish has to be mounted at the highest spot to see over the roof

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
        *I think you like these dystopian epics rather more than I do, "Children of Men" being an example.
        I must admit, I do enjoy witnessing the collapse of society as a result of global catastrophe

Comment

My first actual Sky dish was mounted on the chimney.

Which was less than convenient when the LNB died (killed by the Panasonic receiver which was well known for doing this), and explains why I have a dish farm facing 28E with a couple of Lidl(tm) dishes looking out through the bedroom windows.

Somehow you can tell that I'm not married.

The Panasonic receiver killed a couple more LNBs in its nearly 20 year life, but once the viewing card died it no longer receives Sky encrypted channels, merely the FTA ones.

Saved £33/month by ditching Rupert's Robbery Scheme.

Wish I'd done it sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            I must admit, I do enjoy witnessing the collapse of society as a result of global catastrophe
            Have you watched "Threads"?

That's dystopian enough for anyone.

Possibly reaches the depths of "The War Game" from the 1960s.

"Armageddon" not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
              Have you watched "Threads"?

That's dystopian enough for anyone.

Possibly reaches the depths of "The War Game" from the 1960s.

"Armageddon" not so much.
              They've just reissued it in HD. The Blu-ray is in my "to-watch" pile

I'm planning a special evening, as I've also got The War Game and the American one, The Day After. The three of them should make for a good night's viewing

Comment

Thanks for the petrol/diesel comments - useful.

In other news, the building where I work now had a talk from an energy practitioner. Very useful. I like these talks - if they last 30 minutes and are on just once a year.....

Comment

Couple of croissants with raspberry jam for lunch

Still very sunny here

Seems like the Sky chap has finished. Dunno where he's put the dish as it's not adjacent to the other one, which would seem like a fairly obvious place for it.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                    Thanks for the petrol/diesel comments - useful.

In other news, the building where I work now had a talk from an energy practitioner. Very useful. I like these talks - if they last 30 minutes and are on just once a year.....
                    ... and are billable.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Sausage, Bacon and eggs for lunch. - the Suicide Diet<TM>
                      with healthy wholemeal toast.

went dahn the caff for it too, very nice

Comment

Working...
                      X