• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    I reckon you're better off with that attitude than curling up in a ball and moaning

When I worked for Age Concern visiting housebound "frail and elderly" people (not sure if they still use that term but they did in the 1980s) I found there were basically two types: the ones who spent all their time slumped in their chair bemoaning their fate and saying they couldn't do things because of the terrible state they were in; and the ones, often in a much worse state, whose attitude was to just keep on going regardless and {insert whatever debilitating medical conditions they had} be damned. The latter always seemed to get a lot more out of life, be much happier and more comfortable, and seemed to live a lot longer too

Comment

I reckon you're better off with that attitude than curling up in a ball and moaning

When I worked for Age Concern visiting housebound "frail and elderly" people (not sure if they still use that term but they did in the 1980s) I found there were basically two types: the ones who spent all their time slumped in their chair bemoaning their fate and saying they couldn't do things because of the terrible state they were in; and the ones, often in a much worse state, whose attitude was to just keep on going regardless and {insert whatever debilitating medical conditions they had} be damned. The latter always seemed to get a lot more out of life, be much happier and more comfortable, and seemed to live a lot longer too
      I am not going to slump in a chair bemoaning my fate! I am going to post about it on CUK.....

Comment

Can we stop talking about fate please? Lest it feels tempted.

Summer Squash Soup (with no bread), for those who care.

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
          Everyone cares about soup

Comment

T-1h:30m if anyone wants to follow along on the correct date: Apollo 11 in Real Time

Comment

Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
              Can we stop talking about fate please? Lest it feels tempted.

Minestrone (no, not that one) and a couple of slices of wholemeal.
              "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The latter always seemed to get a lot more out of life, be much happier and more comfortable, and seemed to live a lot longer too
                So they lived longer in pain & discomfort.

I'm struggling hard to see the positive side of that.

There's a contract I found.

With stuff I know about.

It's in fecking Cornwall.

So that's out.

T-1h:30m if anyone wants to follow along on the correct date: Apollo 11 in Real Time
                I rather think I'm Apolloed out.

In other news, it's good to see that Scotland is leading the UK in something, if only in drugs deaths.

They're even doing better than the Septics, which is going a bit it must be said.

*** All this is put out by the lying BBfeckingC World at One so it's probably all lies.
                Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 July 2019, 12:17.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Are you sure?
                  It looks like seconds to me...

edit: if I click the wrong link!
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

The rest of the pâté for lunch, on white toast this time

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                      So they lived longer in pain & discomfort.

I'm struggling hard to see the positive side of that.
                      The inimitable Mrs. M****k of Lansdowne Grove would strongly disagree with you if she was still here. She was 91 years old, with arthritis and other disorders of age that meant she could only just get around her own house. But she was president, secretary, and treasurer of the old folks' group that met once a week in the church hall, despite being the oldest member. She was extremely scathing about the other members moaning that they were "too old" to take on such responsibilities.

Her husband had become permanently disabled and bedridden when she was in her mid-50s, so she'd got a clerical job with Shoefayre up the road, which she did from home as she was also full-time carer for her husband. They brought down a load of files for her to work on, and after a few days she'd phone them to tell them they were done, and they'd collect them and deliver the next lot of work. She did that until she was 86 years old, when her husband finally died and she retired

I used to go and visit her first thing Monday morning, as an hour spent chatting with her over a cup of tea set me up for the rest of the week

Comment

Working...
                      X