• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Via J. Michael Straczynski (creator of Babylon 5) on Twitter, I came across this training document on radio procedure for the British police.

There's a whole section up front on "Expressions of politeness" that explains they should keep it down to "Please", "Thank you", and "Sorry" to avoid "inefficient communication"

http://library.college.police.uk/doc...Guide-2007.pdf

Comment

Lunch today was the scrambled egg and poached tomato on Morrisons pumpkin seed brown toast to which I am becoming so addicted.

The scrambled egg was augmented with a touch of paprika and black pepper in a reasonably successful attempt at flavouring.

Today's book is "Battle of Wits" by Stephen Budiansky, being, surprise! all about code breaking and such like.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Battle-Wits.../dp/0743217349

It begins with Purple and JN-25, the Battle of Midway, and proceeds from there.
      When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

More banana skin...

"Since you took last week off, would you like to stay on another week"

Weather's not looking great, holiday is in September, yeah, why not.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Oh FFS! Sainsbury's are closing the Local store over the road in the autumn

Not sure how they're failing to make money as it's always pretty busy

Comment

Just been doing my bit for global warming with a nice bonfire.

Shedloads of vanities up in smoke along with brambles, long grass, dry moss, slugs, woodlice, etc.

Some of the accounts from my long dead company went too.

It was noticeable that the wax jacket I was wearing is about as waterproof as a sieve.

However today has seen the washing done, and the TD in action again.

The only thing not TDed is the roller towel since that seems less than keen on the idea.

So it's hanging on a temporary washing line in the Salting House.

Along with said unwaxed jacket.

And two dehumidifiers.

It's lovely and warm in there now.

Tea/dinner once I get around to it is expected to be, wait for it, wait for it, M&S chunky breaded cod.

There.

Wasn't that a surprise?
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
              Oh FFS! Sainsbury's are closing the Local store over the road in the autumn

Not sure how they're failing to make money as it's always pretty busy
              Will they replace it with a Greggs?

Where is the nearest alternative?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                Will they replace it with a Greggs?

Where is the nearest alternative?
                There's a Greggs a couple of hundred yards up the road, so probably not. The Co-op (quite a large one) down the road across from the Chinese is the next closest supermarket; I think that's only open till ten in the evening, though.

Oh wait, is Iceland a supermarket? That's just a few doors away, so close it's got the same postcode as me, but I always think of it as a frozen food shop rather than a supermarket. But once you get to the other side past the freezers it's got non-frozen stuff, so maybe it counts?

Comment

There's a Greggs a couple of hundred yards up the road, so probably not. The Co-op (quite a large one) down the road across from the Chinese is the next closest supermarket; I think that's only open till ten in the evening, though.

Oh wait, is Iceland a supermarket? That's just a few doors away, so close it's got the same postcode as me, but I always think of it as a frozen food shop rather than a supermarket. But once you get to the other side past the freezers it's got non-frozen stuff, so maybe it counts?
                  oh, dear, - what an uncivilised wasteland you live in.

no waitrose? WTFH will never speak to you again

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    oh, dear, - what an uncivilised wasteland you live in.

no waitrose? WTFH will never speak to you again
                    Funnily enough, Waitrose announced yesterday or the day before that they're closing their nearest store. The one that used to be nearest was closed last month

That isn't counting the ones at the Leicester Forest East services on the M1, as they're motorway services shops rather than proper ones, and you have to go on the M1 to get to them now they've put pass-controlled barriers on the staff access road. Could drive to the access road and walk down, I suppose.

Comment

Funnily enough, Waitrose announced yesterday or the day before that they're closing their nearest store. The one that used to be nearest was closed last month

That isn't counting the ones at the Leicester Forest East services on the M1, as they're motorway services shops rather than proper ones, and you have to go on the M1 to get to them now they've put pass-controlled barriers on the staff access road. Could drive to the access road and walk down, I suppose.
                      they do All deliver, you know

steak, chips and penny buns for whatever it's called now.
                      horseradish and HP played a small part, too

and a nice rioja.

well, it Is friday.
                      chin, chin, chaps

Comment

Working...
                      X