• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    The telephone scammers are working overtime again.
    One of the reasons I’m not too bothered that the landline here hasn’t worked in ten years or so

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      That means you can shoot at me and WTFH then....
      I don't shoot at cyclists, i scare them with the kill switch

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
        I don't shoot at cyclists, i scare them with the kill switch
        You are becoming way too nice in your old age.

Crucifixion! Its the only thing these idiots understand.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          You are becoming way too nice in your old age.

Crucifixion! Its the only thing these idiots understand.
          you haven't experienced the twin thunderclaps and the three foot blue flames escaping from my zorsts!

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
            you haven't experienced the twin thunderclaps and the three foot blue flames escaping from my zorsts!
            I have escaped so far.....

Comment

Just found my hornby 3 rail set in a cardboard box in the garage, along with a Mamod steam engine and another steam engine.

HORNBY OO GAUGE DUBLO 3 RAIL LOCOMOTIVE | eBay

Amazingly enough, after 55 years of disuse, the engine still runs.

A touch of oil here & there & it'll be just like new.

The track, however, has seen better days.

Found an ancient exercise book, the back of which informed me that, amongst other things, there are 144 sq in in a sq foot.

And 4 roods make up an acre.

Well I never knew that, or if I ever did, I forgot about it.

In other news: raining.
              Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 August 2019, 15:21.
              When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Just found my hornby 3 rail set in a cardboard box in the garage, along with a Mamod steam engine and another steam engine.

HORNBY OO GAUGE DUBLO 3 RAIL LOCOMOTIVE | eBay

Amazingly enough, after 55 years of disuse, the engine still runs.

A touch of oil here & there & it'll be just like new.

The track, however, has seen better days.

Found an ancient exercise book, the back of which informed me that, amongst other things, there are 144 sq in in a sq foot.

And 4 roods make up an acre.

Well I never knew that, or if I ever did, I forgot about it.

In other news: raining.
                I used to like all that weights and measures stuff on the back of exercise books. It seemed to go out of fashion with the switch to metric

Comment

It's been a nice day today. A comfortable 20-21 degrees and sunny, not that I set foot outside after arriving at the office until it was home time.

HWMBO informed me that the heating came on at home, so it must have been a bit chilly there today.

Day off Friday, working Monday. Could probably get away with charging for Friday if it wasn't for a programme board meeting I won't be attending.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    I used to like all that weights and measures stuff on the back of exercise books. It seemed to go out of fashion with the switch to metric
                    Goddamn EUSSR.

Back to Whitworth threads we go after 31st October.

This is inneresting:

Imperial Measures of Length

Never heard of the link as a measure of distance.

And there's two types of chain.

Confused? You will be.

So if an acre is a furlong x 1 chain, then a rood is a furlong x 1 rod, pole, or perch.

Curious.

Tea this evening was M&S breaded haddock which was nice enough.

Something in one or other of the veg had unpleasant hard gritty bits in which rather put me off.

Followed by the last of the stewed blackberries and custard, which was extremely pippy for some reason.

After which 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea was drunk.

The evening's entertainment began with that nice Larry Olivier telling us all about Dresden and the fall of Berlin.

"The World at War" Nemesis: Germany - February-May 1945 (TV Episode 1974) - IMDb

Didn't look like a bundle of laughs it must be said.

Now watching the Abandoned Engineering thing which today includes concrete ships used as a breakwater in Canada, the joys of the Spanish Civil War, and now artificial caves built of ferroconcrete in Germany.

At 20:00 we have "World War Weird".

Which is about a Russian "tank" with wheels from 1915, the Jap soldier who fought WWII until 1975, the acoustic mirrors in the south east, and the final lunacy, the nuclear powered igloo.

None of which compares with the surreal lunacy of the chicken warmed nuke that started the season off.

The Pacific War in Color commences at 21:00, with the pus filled Bad Skin programme on Quest Red at 22:00.
                    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 August 2019, 19:51.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Goddamn EUSSR.

Back to Whitworth threads we go after 31st October.

This is inneresting:

Imperial Measures of Length

Never heard of the link as a measure of distance.

And there's two types of chain.

Confused? You will be.

So if an acre is a furlong x 1 chain, then a rood is a furlong x 1 rod, pole, or perch.

Curious.
                      When we were still in Liverpool (so when I was very young, probably eight or so) one of our teachers took us out one day to measure the length of a road by the school with an actual chain - a proper measuring one, presumably intended for use by surveyors. I have no idea why a primary school recently built on an estate in Liverpool had such an item of kit, but it made a nice change from being in the classroom

This is the length of road in question: Google Maps

And if you went to the top and left round the corner, you'd find the house on Macket's Lane where George Harrison lived with his parents when the Beatles were getting started; the parents had moved just a few years before our measuring activities, when George bought them a nice bungalow out near Warrington. My family lived a bit further along Macket's Lane, on the other side.

Comment

Working...
                      X