• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Pacific War in Color is covering the invasion of the Philippines and the invasion of Peleliu which was described by E. B. Sledge in the book that eventually made up part of "War in the Pacific" some years ago.

With the Old Breed - Wikipedia

Battle of Peleliu - Wikipedia

Now we're on to a tuliphole called Iwo Jima.

There's no sign of Duke Wayne.

Feck me, the Bad Skin thing is pretty gross.

Ok, it just got grosser.

Stone me, the Japs made a habit of this:

A Japanese lieutenant with twenty-six 2nd Infantry soldiers and eight 45th Guard Force sailors held out in the caves in Peleliu until April 22, 1947, and surrendered after a Japanese admiral convinced them the war was over.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 August 2019, 21:32.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Chicken bhuna for tea, with the usual rice and naan. Very nice, it was

I might watch the television tonight, rather than reading. It'll make a change, and I've finished The Chrysalids and Showstopper

Comment

Mezes at a new lebanese place for dinner tonight

stuffed

not. entirely. sober.

a good time had by all

's a hard life....................

now watching the septics testing nukes 60 miles from las vegas
        people getting up early to watch.

feck me.
        Last edited by BR14; 20 August 2019, 21:47.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
          a Mamod steam engine

I’ve got one of those. Keep meaning to get some meths and see if it still goes.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            I’ve got one of those. Keep meaning to get some meths and see if it still goes.
            I don't have the steam roller one that my mate had, it's the static one that you can bolt bits of Meccano on to power stuff.

In fact, one like this:

VINTAGE,MAMOD STATIONARY STEAM ENGINE | eBay

I also found a Meccano Emebo Electric motor which sounds a lot less rough now it's had a little oil in the bearings.
            Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 20 August 2019, 22:11.

Comment

Another episode of SWAT watched

And another early night for me

Goodnight all

Comment

The telephone scammers are working overtime again.
                Happened to me that too. "We heard about your accident". Well, dickhead, it was front page news for a week in January so i'm not remotely surprised.

Stone me, the Japs made a habit of this:

A Japanese lieutenant with twenty-six 2nd Infantry soldiers and eight 45th Guard Force sailors held out in the caves in Peleliu until April 22, 1947, and surrendered after a Japanese admiral convinced them the war was over.
                This admiral sounds, well, admirable. Can you get him to start posting in the sub-forum? We'll soon have 2016 finished.

Comment

Comment

Morning all if all there be

Grey.

Fairly dark grey.

Damp.

Dark.

Dreary.

Wednesday.

Comment

Morning denizens

Almost sunny out - there's a very thin layer of high hazy cloud, but the sun seems to be getting through it without too much trouble

Lower right back is giving me gyp1. Googling suggests a satisfyingly large number of possible causes, mainly chronic or fatal

1 gyp | Definition of gyp in English by Lexico Dictionaries

Comment

Working...
                      X