• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    That's what I said
    You wouldn't have these problems with a proper language used by Real Programmers such as FORTRAN IV.

Mostly coz it doesn't have strings in the first place and requires deft & unusual use of EQUIVALENCE, ENCODE and DECODE to make sense of anything much.

Nice trip to Cardiff, bit of shopping, got my copy of "Rambo III" and had a nice meal with Strangelove sis during which we reminisced mightily about stuff.

Now watching a thing on BBC4 about landfill.

Also: somewhat pissed. (not that it takes much, it must be said).

The trip home was rather unexpectedly on a Hirohito's Revenge 10 unit HST which goes all the way to Carmarthen, rather than the TFW 175 I was expecting.

The 1890 landfill dig found a pottery marmalade jar that the presenter is in raptures about.

I've got one like it down the shed.

Then we were informed that non rechargeable D, C, and AA cells are full of mercury & lead.

To my knowledge the mercury went years ago, there's never been lead in the normal ones, there'll be steel, titanium, zinc, ammonium chloride, carbon, and potassium hydroxide.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 28 August 2019, 20:23.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Torrential downpour outside now

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
        Torrential downpour outside now
        Rained for most of the day here & in Cardiff.

More in Cardiff than here which is unusual.

Comment

spiders are big this year.
          just ejected a racehorse from the bath.
          humanely trapped with a glass and a beermat, and duly defenestrated.

big bugger it was.
          about three inches legspan

Comment

Tea tonight has been the second roast dinner of the week, seeing off the last of Sunday’s roast pork

Still raining, but not quite as heavily as earlier.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
              spiders are big this year.
              just ejected a racehorse from the bath.
              humanely trapped with a glass and a beermat, and duly defenestrated.

big bugger it was.
              about three inches legspan
              Had a few along those lines around here, too

Comment

After the little bit of rain earlier, all has dried up and it's a warm evening.

Met a friend for dinner at Bob's lobster (we didn't have lobster) by London Bridge station. Wow that area has massively changed. The station is airy and pleasant, well sign posted, lots of nice shops (many units still to be filled). I have been through the tube station and out into borough market several times but never paid much attention to the refurbishment of the station and St Thomas Street, adjacent to the Shard. It's all rather gentrified.

Comment

sausage and mustard sarnie for dinner.

rock 'n' roll.

<sainsburys deliver tommorrow, so no need to go crowdfunding. thanks,anyway>

Comment

Following a lunch of Heinz baked beans on Morrisons pumpkin seed toast, tea this evening was fish and chips.

It was all very nice.

Mushy peas with the fish & chips.

And proper chips too.

I only have chips when I eat out.

Now watching some archaeology programme on Smithsonian, after the landfill thing on BBC4.

They were lucky during their landfill digging not to find drums of toxic tulipe such as PCBs, trike, and other chlorinated & fluorinated solvents which I suspect are a good deal worse for the environment than bits of polythene, PET, and pvc.

I'm not sure what the heating up a can of PET was supposed to prove but there you go.

Comment

Every time I write some code to build a DOM representation in nested lists of some hierarchical structure, I end up making the same mistakes. I don't know why I always get confused by it; I've done it dozens of times over the last twenty-odd years

Anyway, I got that done, mostly. It's to list the layers of the Mississippi map sheet tile layers in a little pane in the corner of the map, so one can control the opacity of them individually, or even that of the OpenStreetMap layer underneath

Though naturally I did it as a generic thing that can handle any configuration of layers, as for the examples for the Maps4HTML project, I need to implement it for loads of different libraries: Google Maps, Bing Maps, Leaflet.js, OpenLayers, etc. I might even refactor it to use dependency injection and delegates, now that the basic thing works on OpenLayers

And after that, another episode of SWAT watched

Goodnight all

Comment

Working...
                      X