test please delete test please delete - Page 31592
Page 31592 of 31650 FirstFirst ... 305923109231492315423158231590315913159231593315943160231642 ... LastLast
Posts 315,911 to 315,920 of 316492

My post count is Majestic

Shopping done

The most exciting aspect of which was observing the bored slow-moving Sainsbury's employee colleague walking up to the trolley-sized self-checkouts and activating them at 11am, thereby confirming my hypothesis.

When I got back, I ran into (not literally) the landlord of two or three of the houses further up, trundling their general waste bins out to the narrow strip of land along a fence where they await collection. He told me that he's moving his fence out over that area to his boundary line right next to the carriageway (as I assume it's rightfully called, having originally been for the residents of these large houses to get their carriages in and out), as he's fed up with people dumping junk there which he then has to have removed (and, presumably, dispose of as trade waste) - he's just had it cleared up yet again, and it cost him £300 apparently.

I refrained from pointing out that it's largely his tenants who dump stuff there in the first place, and they'll probably just leave it in their back yards instead whence he'll still have to dispose of it; I doubt he would have listened

Anyway, it'll potentially make it difficult to get the car out on bin day if people start leaving their bins on the carriageway instead, or indeed if the bin operatives dump them there after emptying, which they probably will

Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    but enough of this frivolity!

off to feed the fishes.

Do make proper knots around the concrete blocks and the ankles or the fish food might float away and we all know how embarrassing that can be.

Make sure the water's deep enough too.

You ain't seen me, right?
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Oh, and I hit the hot food counter up for a couple of southern not-fried chicken thighs for lunch

Nice But Dim

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Do make proper knots around the concrete blocks and the ankles or the fish food might float away and we all know how embarrassing that can be.

Make sure the water's deep enough too.

You ain't seen me, right?
    If you use the precast ones with the holes through them you can just shove the feet through and put a zip tie around the ankles. Saves a lot of bother and potential embarrassment.

"Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    If you use the precast ones with the holes through them you can just shove the feet through and put a zip tie around the ankles. Saves a lot of bother and potential embarrassment.
    I once read that London's East End gangsters of the 1960s would wrap the fish food, along with some suitably heavy bits of scrap iron, in chicken wire and chuck the whole assemblage off a trawler. Small fish and such could get through the holes in the chicken wire and ensure everything was eaten, and there was no chance of any big bits breaking off and being washed ashore somewhere, causing embarrassment.

What a fount of wisdom this thread is.

Shirts now in the TD, jeans & coloureds in the WM.

Still grey out but not raining & the wind should be drying stuff reasonably well.

I may go & potch about in the garage a bit later since yesterday's gardening excesses need not be repeated quite yet.

Allegedly it'll rain tomorrow so may be a nice bonfire might be pencilled in for the evening.

A bit before I retired I bought some electronicky bits and pieces for a not inconsiderable amount of moolah.

Last week I found some of that stuff down in the garage where it had sat unconsidered for the last 20 years.

Along with some totally useless surface mount stuff.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30th August 2019 at 11:46.

Nice But Dim

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    I once read that London's East End gangsters of the 1960s would wrap the fish food, along with some suitably heavy bits of scrap iron, in chicken wire and chuck the whole assemblage off a trawler. Small fish and such could get through the holes in the chicken wire and ensure everything was eaten, and there was no chance of any big bits breaking off and being washed ashore somewhere, causing embarrassment.
    With the added advantage that the chicken wire will constrict the corpse as it bloats, causing it to burst and release any gasses built up that might cause it to float back to the surface again.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveB View Post
    With the added advantage that the chicken wire will constrict the corpse as it bloats, causing it to burst and release any gasses built up that might cause it to float back to the surface again.
    They've never found that last student who fell in the river Tawe.

I was expecting him to float after 3 weeks but I suspect he went out to sea.

But not in ships.

CCTV shows last movements of missing Swansea student Tapiwa Matuwi | Wales - ITV News
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 30th August 2019 at 12:05.

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Afternoon all

The Dog (tw) had to go to the vet this morning for an injection, so after walking her and showering her, we went into the metropolis of Dorking. Dog sorted, shopping for the weekend done. Now to get on with the job list.
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Just "ironed" a shirt and a couple of others.

Said shirt isn't a non iron type shirt and it's looked so disgusting that I finally found the iron (last use in 2014) and the ironing board (ditto).

It looks a bit more presentable now and the button hole bits on the other two are a bit better than they were.

Now sitting down due to the extreme shock of the last 15 minutes.

Bearing in mind that the last time I ironed anything was last millennium.