test please delete test please delete - Page 31909
Page 31909 of 32114 FirstFirst ... 30909314093180931859318993190731908319093191031911319193195932009 ... LastLast
Posts 319,081 to 319,090 of 321138

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    I suppose I should take a look at the door lock on the salting house which has packed up after many years service, the latch being stuck in, in many ways being rather better than the latch being stuck out of course.
    Turned out that the flat spring that returns the latch had fractured after a mere 60 or 70 years or so.

Nothing lasts.

Had a nice potch replacing it with a spring out of some Rolson assorted springs kit that I bought on the offchance it might come in handy, like.

Which it just has.

So far: one spring, tension, 25 mm long, 5mm diameter.

The fixing screws of said lock haven't shifted in nearly 20 years so they were a bit reluctant.

The last one required the use of the hand brace with a hex screwdriver bit.

You can press really really really hard to stop the bit caming out while exerting A Lot of Torque.

Don't do this with stainless steel screws coz the heads fall off.

Guess how I know that.

Quote Originally Posted by NickFitz View Post
    Chicken and bacon is a winning combination. Having read the above, I’m going to put roasting-them-together on my list of things to try
    I think it was Morrisons bacon (of some sort, possibly back or streaky or something), it does make the chicken a little less boring.

My left ear is playing up again - I’d become careless about cleaning off the residue of the antibacterial wipes from the hearing aids this past week, and it seems it still doesn’t like that

Maybe I’ll manage to get on with reading one of my various in-progress books if I don’t watch any telly tonight so it can have a rest from the hearing aid
    Possibly a sensitivity developing.

Something I know about as I'm afflicted with, amongst many other things, dermatitis.

My hands got dirtier this afternoon than they have for many a moon.

I even used some of that evil polybead handcleanser stuff so I could poison some more fishes.

I've had that can for approaching 30 years and there's still a good third of it left.

A bit like the big feckoff tin of LM grease I just greased the lock with.

I think I bought it in Halfords to fill a grease gun, back in the days when I had a car that had grease nipples on. (The Dutton Phaeces IIRC, there were two: on the UJs on the propshaft).
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8th December 2019 at 16:57.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

My post count is Majestic

Had a nice potch replacing it with a spring out of some Rolson assorted springs kit that I bought on the offchance it might come in handy, like.

Which it just has.
    Another win for things that might come in handy one day!

Possibly a sensitivity developing.
    Yes, it seemed to start happening a while after I got the antibacterial wipes, then stopped when I took to wiping them clan with a bit of damp tissue before putting them in, and now started again after I stopped doing that, so I’m pretty sure it’s some kind of contact dermatitis or whatever they call it.

But if I don’t clean the hearing aids with the wipes I get infections in there instead, so I’ll just have to stop being too lazy to clean them both ways

YouTube

YouTube

YouTube

Prompted entirely by my purchase of a bottle of Special Reserve earlier today.

They don't seem to make adverts like that any more, or, if they do, I don't watch them, which is much more likely.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 8th December 2019 at 17:42.

Super poster

No, sadly, they don't make ads like that any more.

Must have been expensive, getting that sub to surface in the duck pond.

Godlike

dinner has been seafood pie <homemade by myself>
    turned out very nice too.
    the peccorino in the sauce worked very well.

yum

with a nice chablis, for a change

's a hard life, so it is.

Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

Healthy options all the way for tea tonight: M&S pork and caramelised onion sausages, thick-cut smoked bacon off the market, M&S crinkle cut chips, and beans

Might have some chocolate cake in a bit too

Might have some chocolate cake in a bit too
    And so it came to pass: Sainsbury’s Taste the Difference Belgian Chocolate Cake

Tea was baked beans on Morrisons sunflower and pumpkin seed toast accompanied by 1.05 pints of Good Glengettie Tea.

Dunno what was wrong withe lunchtime tea but this was ok

Entertainment began with S7 E11 & 12 of BTVS and S4 E11 & 12 of Angel, this latter being with the return of Angelus, which never bodes well.

Buffywise, Spike got rescued from imprisonment by the first.

Very poor Special Features for both, very basic & uninteresting unless you were sad enouogh to want to watch endless trailers for BTVS and Angel. .

I wasn't.

Then it was on to the Oak Island nutjobs.

They found another iron spiky thing in Smith's cove more or less where that wooden slipway thing is.

Cue mutterings about Roman spears.

The H8 60" diameter "can" was pulled up from 200+ feet (at bedrock more or less) to about 170 feet or so, so there's 30 odd feet of this thing sticking up in the air.

They send a ROV down with sonar & video and just as it's about to get inneresting, the thing packs up due to water ingress at 170 feet or so, more or less where the "cavern" is supposed to be on the geo data they got a couple of weeks ago.

The curse of Oak Island strikes again.

The runic stone doesn't have runes on it, it might just be architectural decoration according to the rune lady.

When looking for more of said stone, the detectorist found yet another coin.

Then during the excavations in Smith's cove they find a concrete wall, 3 feet into the seabed and effectively 6 feet below the sea surface.

Which is strange.

Cue mutterings about Roman hydraulic cement.

No telly tonight, apart from a bit of some Australian Customs/Immigration thing while I ate.

Instead, I’ve finished Primo Levi’s If This is a Man, which ends when the Russians arrive at Auschwitz, the Germans having run away some days before.

Goodnight all